An Alternative Activa Ram Bush

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

An Alternative Activa Ram Bush

Post by CitroJim »

My Activa has had a rattle from the rear end ever since I have owned it. Not bad but enough to reduce the driving pleasure of an otherwise very quiet car. It was particularly noticeable at low speed in towns on rough roads.

The usual suspect is a small metal/rubber/metal bush in the lower eye of the Activa Ram. I took a look today and found the bush was indeed at fault but not in the expected way. It had been replaced with a roughly turned nylon bush :shock: More evidence, as if it were needed, that my Activa had been the subject of bodging in the past :evil:

These bushes are not exactly readily available new, being a very specific Activa Component, so I had a dilemma. Either put up with the rattle or try to mitigate the problem whilst I ordered and waited for a genuine part.

In the event I found a piece of hard nylon which was once part of a printer platen. I used it to turn up a new bush in the lathe and offered it up. It fitted fine but it offered no lateral location for the Ram eye in its yoke so I turned up some nylon washers to act as side-cheeks.

Success :D my rear is now nice and quiet and the car is a lot more pleasant to drive. There is no telling how long it will last but I'll leave it until it fails.

I've no idea of the specification of the material I used to make the bush and there may be a better material I could use. Any suggestions?

If anyone would like one of these bushes, I could easily make one and incorporate a couple of improvements over my initial prototype and possibly using a better material.

I'll report back on how this bush is lasting in due course.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

If the rubber bush allow for a little twist, could it not be replaced by a rose end joint?
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

citrojim... if you need more detailed support for your Activa try this site. I used it several times when I had my Activa.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/ActivaNet/index.php?act=idx

The site used to be Activanet. You may already be aware of it ofcourse.

cheers, Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

someone i know used to race a beemer 2002 in saloon car racing,he used to have shoker bushes made up out of enginers nylon,weather this is the corect term for this material i dont know
regards malcolm