HDI 2000 Xantia Estate - Rattle from Rear

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CX5001
My Cars:

Post by CX5001 »

Guess what ?

Hopefully this status report ends this thread.
Having tried all the suggestions regarding this rattle ( many thanks to all posts ) but without sucess, I thought back in time to when I thought this noise first appeared.
I changed the rear and front wheel spheres about 6 months ago. The noise at the back didn't appear straight after that but a little while later. So as one last go at something I bought and changed the rear spheres ( to be honest the ride was getting bad again )
Only a short test run BUT RATTLE GONE !!

I don't know how a faulty sphere could cause this rattle however what I did find was the drivers side rear sphere had a crack in the little flat disc at the top of the sphere ( is there a valve there ?) . Also , the spheres were the WRONG type. GSF had sold me the rear spheres for a HDi hatchback - not an HDi estate. Since the last time had been the first time i had bought and replaced spheres I had trusted their choice - now I double check. Could this really be the cause of my problems ?
regards n thanks
Mike
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CX5001 wrote:Also , the spheres were the WRONG type. GSF had sold me the rear spheres for a HDi hatchback - not an HDi estate. Since the last time had been the first time i had bought and replaced spheres I had trusted their choice - now I double check. Could this really be the cause of my problems ?
regards n thanks
Funny you should say that, I sent my dad to GSF to get me a pair of rear spheres for my 1.9 estate, they told him that I didn't want estate spheres, I wanted hatchback spheres as they would be "better"
After asking on here I sent dad back to get the right ones, which they didn't have in stock so had to order.
In the end I swapped the hatchback spheres for anti-sink and accumulator for my 2.1.
So I still need to get new rear spheres for my 1.9 as the garage I got the current ones from gave me hydractive spheres.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool