'98 1.9TD Xsara ~ Won't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a4gom
My Cars:

'98 1.9TD Xsara ~ Won't start

Post by a4gom »

Not sure if its connected to my earlier post on central locking but here goes.

Car started fine this morning and wife ran it to work ok, she thinks oil and water warning lights didn't go out but not 100%, its only about a mile to work.

When she came out the car would not start, turn ignition on everything seemed fine, heater plug light went out as norm and car turned over but didn't fire so she left it at work and walked home.
I went to have a look and noticed when I turned ignition on the digital odometer didn't come on? Checked fuses and No2 fuse (5A) had blown, replaced and it blew again.
Any thoughts what may be causing this fuse to blow and whether this alone would stop car starting.
Checked manual and it says this fuse is for: speed sensor and coolant level sensor - auto gearbox selector illumination (our car has a manual g/box), instrument panel, coolant and catalytic convertor temperature warning lamps, diagnostic socket, lights on audiable warning.

Any thoughts, advice etc gratefully recieved.

Andy
:(
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

One thing strikes your eye when reading :

Wife noticed water (coolant) warning kept lighting up.
F5 is used for coolant level & temp warnings ..

Check the loom(s) runing to/fro engine for any damages. Sounds like a wire is chafed somewhere on a sharp edge and shorting out to earth.

HINT : Instead of keep replacing F5, then make up a testlamp connected by 2 spade cannectors where the fuse goes in. Testlamp MUST be a pretty hefty bulb, like a 21Watt blinkers bulb to make the test work.

Use a couple of meters appliance twincable, perfect for this.

Insert the testlamp connectors instead of the fuse, place bulb so the light can be seen when working in engine bay.
Now turn on ignition and go on chasing the wire loom problem. Whenevr the problem is present, the fuse will blow : i.e. the bulb will instead light up. When problem goes away - bulb only glows weakly.
It migh be necessary using an even heftier bulb - like a headlamp bulb - to get a more sharp difference in light on problem present/gone.

It works every time :D
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

Thanks thats a good tip, too late now but i'll be up with the sun.

Edited to say thanks for the tip, I used a bulb and eventually found a trapped wire behind the fuse box which had split and was shorting out.
:D