99 1.9TD SX or 98 2.1TD Desire 2

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

davethewheel wrote:if it's not pulling as well as your 1.9td check the EGR valve these are known to stick open, the one i bought had this problem if it's stuck they normaly blow a lot of black smoke out on acceleration :)
Where abouts is that?
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Look on the black inlet plenum section at teh back of the head and its the metal pipe that goes down.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

yep it's down the back of the engine behind the black inlet manifold, you can just pull of the pipe to see if it makes a difference.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldn't think it would be to much of a problem to fit a mechanical pump in the event of failure.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I have noticed a very high pitch whistle over 3000 rpm.
Seems to be only when pressure is on the accelerator pedal, so if I'm doing 3500 and take my foot off, it stops whisting.
Any ideas?

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote:I have noticed a very high pitch whistle over 3000 rpm.
Seems to be only when pressure is on the accelerator pedal, so if I'm doing 3500 and take my foot off, it stops whisting.
Any ideas?
You're leaking Boost Xac. Have a real good check of all your turbo trunking from air filter to inlet manifold.

The most likely is a loose jubilee clip and a favourite spot is on the turbo inlet itself. A pipe may be split or at the worst case, the intercooler is holed. If you have not already done so, check the EGR valve and trunking too.

I'm not sure how it wil work on a diesel, but on a petrol turbo a rough test of trunking and intercooler integrity can be gained by placing the palm your hand over the air intake into the turbo (just past the air filter) with the engine idling. You should be able to feel a vacuum develop and the rubber hoses to the intercooler should suck in and squash themselves. Any air leaks will sonn reveal themselves.

Don't do this test for long or too violently as you could damage the intercooler. Don't fully cover the air intake so as to allow a bit of air to bleed past your fingers.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

thats exactly one of the problems i had with my 2.1td when i got it, loads of turbo whistle and down on power, on mine it turned out that the pipe from the intercooler to the turbo was spilt, this is the big black pipe which runs under the sump, a new one from citroen was a silly price so i got one from a scrappy and now it goes like stink.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Thanks guys, will check it out once I've stopped my lhm leak.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

DickieG wrote:
Xac wrote:PS Anyone know where the removable front towing eye is kept in the engine bay?
Its normally on the underside of the bonnet.
Where abouts on the underside of the bonnet is the eye kept?
Jim and I had a good look and couldn't see any clips etc that would hold an eye shaped item, nor on his Activa.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Found it in the spare wheel along with the jack which looked unused! :)

DIY sphere tool
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

So you have an LHM leak and possibly a leak on the turbo causing it to have less power than your 1.9, not to mention needing a couple of spheres.
What did someone say about frying pans and fire?
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

BonceChops wrote:So you have an LHM leak and possibly a leak on the turbo causing it to have less power than your 1.9, not to mention needing a couple of spheres.
What did someone say about frying pans and fire?
Minor niggles only. I've seen it, its a good 'un :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

The leak was due to a perished seal on the anti-sink sphere, replaced this and it was fine.
Power has improved since I've been driving it, so I think the family that owned it before never really pushed it.
The whistle, that's an interesting one, when taking out the jack from the spare last night to use the jack to raise up my 1.9, I noticed a high pitch sort of rattle from the exaust pipe, which went silent when I rested the wheel nut wrench on it.
It's a replacement exhaust so something might be loose, will investigate further.

DIY sphere tool