Replacing XUD head

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Replacing XUD head

Post by Xaccers »

How difficult a job is it to replace the head of a 1.9 TD Xantia?

Some history:
Last year, cam belt snapped a week before it was due to be changed, very annoying.

I was seriously strapped for cash, so went for the sledge hammer repair technique of replacing the camshaft and caps, and a new belt.
All went well until this weekend when I noticed a thrumming sound from the engine while on my way to my old house (was moving that weekend).
Managed to get from MK to Leighton Buzzard with no problems other than the thrumming.
One of my friends helping me move is an ex-mechanic, so I though I'd start the car up and let him listen, there was a loud clunk and that was it.
I then noticed that the cam belt had chewed it's way through the front top cam cover.

Very nice local citroen garage (very very nice, have been very helpful with advice etc) want to fit a new cam kit to see if the water pump etc could be at fault, but at £55 an hour for a 7 hour job, it doesn't seem worth it.
Especially as I suspect one of the cam caps has probably broken, if not the cam shaft again, and they quoted me £800 just for a new head.

So, A5 down the road can take a head off an engine they have for £120.
How well does the BoL cover swapping heads?
Are there any special tools/equipment I'd need?
Do I have to have anything done to the head before fitting it to my engine?
I'd then fit the belt kit myself, having slightly more money this time round.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Xac,

Not a difficult job and surprisingly the BoL makes a fair stab at it. You'll need to watch the head gasket thickness especially as you are taking a head from one engine and transferring it to another. The BoL expains this reasonably but you'll need a dial gauge. Otgherwise use the tickest "repair" gasket!

I'd give the replacement head a good service, like grinding valves and having it pressure checked before fitting. A light skim is a good idea too, just to clean it up and ensure it is fully flat.

You'll need a gasket set and new head bolts etc. Taking the old head off will give you a pretty good idea of what you are up against or are A5 going to take it off for you?

Where in MK are you now Xac? I'm local to you (well, up the road in Newport) and will be more than happy to help you with this job...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

New Bradwell, and will be working in the street outside the house unfortunately.

I'll be taking the old head off, so will just have to remember how it all goes.

Any suggestions of a local and reasonably priced place to check and skim the head?

All help would be gratefully recieved, and my girlfriend will keep you filled with more home made cookies and brownies than you could ever eat.
Even throw in lunch/dinner :)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No worries Xac, I'm well used to working outside. I have exactly the same problem. I have a garage but it's full to bursting with tools and bits. The offer of cookies has swung it :D When are you going to get cracking?

New Bradwell really is just down the road. I pass through nearly every day. I've noticed a nice, tidy red Activa there too, opposite Willards, with a stoved-in wing.

I don't know if anywhere local to do a pressure test on a head as (luckily) I've never needed it (yet). In cases like this, I always give Chris at Citroen Services in Newport a quick ring or pop in and see him. He is on 01908 615668. He's a very approachable bloke but give yourself plenty of time. Once he starts talking about Citroens, there is no stopping him. He'll advise.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Spoke to Chris (thanks for his number) and he put me in touch with TMI http://www.tmi-miltonkeynes.co.uk who suggested I take the head off mine and bring it in for them to check over as they might be able to repair it.
They reckon if it's not salvageable, they could get a recon head ready to go for less than the 2nd hand one with skimming and servicing etc.

So now I have to see if Green Flag can bring my car back, or tow it another way.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Result!

A5 is a bit pricey! £120 for what is essentially an unknown quality head is a bit steep. He rushed me £3 for a Xantia parcel shelf hinge the other day.

Where is your Xantia at the moment then Xac? Green Flag should recover you but you may need to be slightly "economical" with the truth :wink:

Many moons ago I had my sons car recovered after his engine threw a rod in South Wales by telling the recovery company it was my car and I had broken down there. The old boy who came to my aid saw through it immediately, almost as if it was not an uncommon occurrance... But then a 45 year old in a well chavved-up Fiesta was a bit of a give away!!!
Jim

Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Green Flag (well their LB contractors) towed it to the Citroen garage in Stony for me on Saturday.
If they won't move it, I can get it towed behind a mate's car as it's not that far.

Waiting for TMI to call me back with a price of a recon head so I know what worst case scenario will be.

DIY sphere tool