Xantia 1.9TD engine dies while driving

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Veggie_Xantia
My Cars:

Xantia 1.9TD engine dies while driving

Post by Veggie_Xantia »

Greetings…………….

I have a problem with my veggie car, some times its hard to start in the morning, and when I get it going a little way along the road it dies, after several 10 second burst on the key the car fires up again.

I can start it first time on some other mornings even if its cold, and same again it never dies on me, I have replaced the fuel filter, and checked for leaks or holes in pipe work.

I have even filled my tank from empty to full with diesel and put injector cleaner in, and still get the same.

If I pump the manual fuel device so it’s hard, I can run the car all-day and with no problems. I went to amble on 50/50 veggie diesel. From Huddersfield I got to Newcastle and not a hitch, then it just went into its dieing swan and died on me, once again pumped the manual fuel pump, and after 3 10 second bursts of the key away we go.

My car is 1.9TD R reg with a Bosch fuel pump. Have been running the car for over 3 months on veggie. And it has only just started to play up.

Any ideas would be most helpful.

Peter.
I use Veggie oil. 50/50 winter times 100% summer. now I recycle the old veggie oil. I go from A to B and its FREE FREE FREE. apart from the tax to customs and excise. 27p Plt.
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

If you get it going again by using the fuel priming bulb it sounds like a fuel starvation issue, so double check the fuel lines again for leaks, inluding the leak off pipe. Also check in the filter in the fuel tank.

Have good read through here for xantia xud engine issues and you might find some other pointers. Or vist http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php and read up on xud engines there and running them on veg and you will pick up some pointers and possibly the cause to you issue.

but my money is on an air leak or fuel stavation due to a blocked filter.
406 lx 1.9td estate
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

What is the viscosity of the fuel at low temperatures? Is the stuff waxing in the filter or fuel lines?
jeremy
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

I've heard that when you switch from Diesel to Veg that all the horrible residues left by the diesel are cleared out of the tank (which is good obviously) but this rubbish has to travel down the fuel lines and should end up in the filter, blocking it. So apparently a few filter changes are needed before it's finally ok. Also I guess it could stop part way down a fuel line and partially block that too.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
Veggie_Xantia
My Cars:

Post by Veggie_Xantia »

Greetings..........

Thanks for the info.

1.New fuel filter fitted :D
2. Does not wax, i am running at the moment 40 ltrs diesel to 20 ltrs of veggie to check running issues. :D
3. i have a feeling that when i had the car serviced, they put new glow plugs in, and they were cheap ? (not a citroen garage) :?
4. tank filter fine, replaced just incase. :D
5. seem to think i am getting air sucking in then turbo as well, high rev sounds rather like a whooshing noise. :shock:

Will check out the links sent to me. :lol:

looks like a weekend on my back covered in veggie oil. checking for leaks. :wink: ](*,)

thanks guys
I use Veggie oil. 50/50 winter times 100% summer. now I recycle the old veggie oil. I go from A to B and its FREE FREE FREE. apart from the tax to customs and excise. 27p Plt.
Brian UK
My Cars:

Post by Brian UK »

Check the glow plugs, and the glow plug relay, as either could cause starting problems.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No need to suspect glowplugs just because they may be of an alternative make.
Quick check is to monitor both battery pole voltage and glow plug tip voltage - while the glow plug timer is timing the plugs on.
You should have at least 12.2volts over the battery poles, at least 10.8volts on the plug tips.
Important here is to observe that the voltage at the glow plug tips is LOWER than the battery voltage, indicating the plugs consuming power, working correctly.
You might as well have an air leak on the fuel line. Have you tried the hand primer before starting ?

I doubt its an 'expensive' problem you have.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

5. seem to think i am getting air sucking in then turbo as well, high rev sounds rather like a whooshing noise. :shock:

Check that the Intercooler pipes are still firmly attached
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

It' s acting somewhat like mine acted some months ago & I am not using Veggie Oil. But the filter in the fuel tank had become clogged-with a fungus.
When I would pump the primer, it was slow to return to its normal position. When this happens again remove the fuel filler cap. If you get a slight hiss -this a sign that you have an air shortage within the tank. You can get into the tank filter from under the rear seat -remove the black cover disconnect the wiring for 30 minutes, and remove the round ring that holds down the filter. ( be careful when replacing this ring, that you are on the correct thread).
If the filter is infested or blocked with the black fungus that mine had-use good old fashioned household Domestos and hot water to clean it. Good Luck.
I tried soaking it in Petron & it was useless)
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

jmd wrote:It' s acting somewhat like mine acted some months ago & I am not using Veggie Oil. But the filter in the fuel tank had become clogged-with a fungus.
If the filter is infested or blocked with the black fungus that mine had-use good old fashioned household Domestos and hot water to clean it. Good Luck.
I tried soaking it in Petron & it was useless)
I believe this is a common 'side effect' when using veggie... it has a cleaning effect and deposits the build up of 'diesel sludge' into the filters.. this is a one off occurence!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
Veggie_Xantia
My Cars:

Post by Veggie_Xantia »

Ok Guys i have temporay solved the problem.

on the left hand side of the fuel filter housing there is a white star shaped bleed valve, got a feeling it might be to do with "water bleed off" well this was leaking under presure, so doing a blue peter sticky back moment i have stopped the leak.

1. get 500ml cke bottle lid.
2. get ample blue tak
3 get 3 cable ties
4. get gaffer tape.

A. warm bluetak in hand until soft, apply bluetak to inside the lid, place the filled lid over the leaking bleed valve, pushjing firmly into place. join 2 cableties together and wrap round the coke bottle lid and the fuel filter housing. 3rd cable ti place round the lower fuel pie clasp and tie to other cable ties.

take car for a fast test drive hitting every pothole u can find to complete the shake test. stop car lift bonnet, and compress the manual fuel pump until rock hard and check for leeks.

working fine, will go to garage tomorrow with my findings and watch the mechanics fall about laughing ....

thanks everyone for your help.

at least i now know the car well.

:roll: :wink: :shock: :D :lol: 8)
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

Once again I had the same problem with that part (Fuel Filter Housing) on my Xantia, It was different to your problem in that it was not stopping on the road, but it was very difficult to start most mornings. If it leaks Diesel, it will suck in air. I visited a "breakers yard" - got the filter housing from a Peugeot 405/6 (I think). Fitted it to my car & all is fine. I found that the only difference was that my original housing had a wiring plug, and the Peugeot one had a blank plug where the wiring plug was located on my original. I removed the blanking plug & fitted my old wiring plug & reconnected. All is perfect since. If you are refitting the wiring plug - be careful as there are a few O rings in this plug, also if getting one from a breakers yard ensure that it has a rubber seal at the base, or change over the old one from your existing housing. I fail to understand the purpose of what you describe a "a star shaped bleed valve" only it must have some purpose or I presume it would not be fitted , but it not seem to be meant to be removed.