Funnies with an RF Plip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Funnies with an RF Plip

Post by CitroJim »

I've searched but not come across this particular problem.

My RF plip on the Activa will arm and disarm the alarm and operate the central locking no problem at all but it will not unlock the immobiliser.

I read in the handbook about reinitialising it by operating it with the ignition on with the non-plip key in. This worked once and I was able to start the car using the plip key but after stopping, locking it using the plip, unlocking it using the plip and trying to start, the immobiliser refused to unlock using the plip key.

Bizarre :roll: What is going on here? The non-plip key unlocks the immobiliser every time perfectly.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Possibly a damaged key. I think the plip and the immobiliser are two separate functions in the key, so its possible for one to work but not the other. Its not actually the plip that turns the immobiliser off but the proximity of the key to an aerial built into the steering column lock.

I've seen this before with a Peugeot, it had two plip keys, both would operate the central locking & alarm perfectly, but one of them would only turn the immobiliser off & start the engine reliably about 50% of the time. The other key would start the car every time without fail.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Nick,

:cry: Thought as much :( How best to resolve? I hate only having one fully working key...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Well I had a quick look on PR Net and Citroen charge £68 for a new plip or £23 for a new key insert! I'm not sure which part the circuit for the immobiliser is built into to be honest. If its in the key insert itself it would be fairly easy to have one made then fit it to your existing plip unit.

The only time I've had to buy a new key for a Xantia was for my pre-facelift one with the keypad system so didn't have this problem.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

You have to have the car programmed to accept the new key when you buy it. For that you need to know the security code for the immobiliser, it asks for it when you plug the programming machine into the car.
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Nick and Neil,

Very useful information :) I took my plip all to bits this evening and managed to flip the transponder module out of the key. As an aside, I was amazed at the range of the RF side of the plip. I dismantled the plip in the garage and the car was a good 30 feet away and still locked as I pressed the button taking it apart :shock:

So, If I'm correct, the actual transponder module is the little chip about 8 x 3mm and about 2mm thick. I was hoping I could see an obvious fault but not so :( Why they pack up is a mystery as they must be passive. They get knocked perhaps? If I understand correctly Nick, this little module is available as a spare part but needs to be programmed to the car.

The problem is that I do not have the plastic card that should be with the car containing the transponder code. Is this available via a Stealer on production of the car VIN and proof of ownership etc? Any idea of the cost all this will entail?

I'm getting worried only having one key working. If that one fails I'm really up the creek. :evil: I assume it is not easy to unlock the ECU to bypass all of this...
Jim

nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

citrojim wrote:Thanks Nick and Neil,

So, If I'm correct, the actual transponder module is the little chip about 8 x 3mm and about 2mm thick. I was hoping I could see an obvious fault but not so :( Why they pack up is a mystery as they must be passive. They get knocked perhaps? If I understand correctly Nick, this little module is available as a spare part but needs to be programmed to the car.

The problem is that I do not have the plastic card that should be with the car containing the transponder code. Is this available via a Stealer on production of the car VIN and proof of ownership etc? Any idea of the cost all this will entail?
Having never actually ordered one of these I'm pretty much going by what info I can glean from Citroen PR Net. They list a "key insert" at £23.42, that appears to consist of a new key cut to fit the car but it doesn't specify if that includes the transponder chip or not. It is certainly worth trying a dealer with the VIN to see if they can provide the security key code. This is something I had been wondering about as I bought my Xsara from an auction last year and didn't get the card with it either!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

citrojim wrote: The problem is that I do not have the plastic card that should be with the car containing the transponder code. Is this available via a Stealer on production of the car VIN and proof of ownership etc? Any idea of the cost all this will entail?

I'm getting worried only having one key working. If that one fails I'm really up the creek. :evil: I assume it is not easy to unlock the ECU to bypass all of this...
Yes the code can be obtained from citroen & costs around £15 depending on the dealer.
Theres no need to worry if that key fails,just get another on & get it programed. you dont need any working keys to program a new one.

The transponder chip is located in the base of the key blade not the actual plip itself.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Wheeler and Nick,

Your help in this is very much appreciated :)

I'm off the see my local Stealer. I have a warmer feeling about all of this now.
Jim

BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

It's a shame you live too far away, My friend programs car keys for a living. He covers a fairly large area from Accrington where he is based and spends a lot of time around Manchester
Neil
Now Citrtoenless