Xsara VTS problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pmr01

Xsara VTS problems

Post by pmr01 »

I have a long standing problem with my 6 month old VTS. After much thought on the common times it does this I think I have narrowed the prob down to when the car is coasting - say down to a junction - the car will start running on three cylinders. The engine would continue to do that until you switch the engine off. At which point the engine will riun perfectly on four again. After that the engine management light will come on and stay on for a few days. This fault is completely intermittent.
In addition, merely switching the engine off but not fully turning the power off at the key (posn 1) and bumpstarting while on the move does not clear the three cylinder problem.
Numerous trips to the garage have not resolved this prob.
Incidentally, this is my second split new Xsara VTS and the first one did exactly the same so I am not prepared to accept that my car is a one off.
Please, any ideas.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Have you had the fault codes read from the ECU?
ZX D
XM V6 Sei
err... and a Vauxhall.
assael1

Post by assael1 »

if the car fitted with 2.0 ltr engine the problem caused by ecu software.go to your dealer,a new software version is avilable now on internet.the new download version solve problem of misfiring and bad cold start.
hope i help
pmr01

Post by pmr01 »

That would seem extremely logical especially due to the fact that, in my experience, the running on three cylinders only clears when the car is shut down completely. Do you have direct experience of this?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

yes i've found the same problems,it does sound like a software problem.get the dealer to carry out an internet download on the engine ECU with Lexia or Proxia.
adrianeaton
My Cars:

Post by adrianeaton »

Be interested to know if/when you sort this just in case it happens on our VTS in the future.
Surely if there's a known ECU fault then your dealer would have tried that first?! Or am I expecting too much of dealers....
Out of interest, are you aware of any cam belt problems with the VTS? I know 306 GTi-6's with the 'same' engine that have suffered premature cam belt failures due to the tensioner failing.
Love the VTS now!
Adrian
sijenko
My Cars:

Post by sijenko »

Did'n find your answer, have you sold the problem? I'm very interrested since same thing is happening to me!
Gregor
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pmr01</i>

I have a long standing problem with my 6 month old VTS. After much thought on the common times it does this I think I have narrowed the prob down to when the car is coasting - say down to a junction - the car will start running on three cylinders. The engine would continue to do that until you switch the engine off. At which point the engine will riun perfectly on four again. After that the engine management light will come on and stay on for a few days. This fault is completely intermittent.
In addition, merely switching the engine off but not fully turning the power off at the key (posn 1) and bumpstarting while on the move does not clear the three cylinder problem.
Numerous trips to the garage have not resolved this prob.
Incidentally, this is my second split new Xsara VTS and the first one did exactly the same so I am not prepared to accept that my car is a one off.
Please, any ideas.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Ive seen a 60k zx 16v which is similar except for cams and inlet manifold do its cambelt, not sure why but it took about 4 valves with it :) I bought mine on 83k and it had no history of one being changed so i had it done asap