Berlingo screen washers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andyps

Berlingo screen washers

Post by andyps »

Hoping someone might be able to help me out. We have an 03 Berlingo 1.9D and recently the rear washer stopped working. Whilst trying to sort it out the front also stopped, but it appeared there was power getting to the plug so I bought a new washer motor. When fitted this didn't work either so I checked everything out and verified that the old motor didn't work, the new one does and there is power to the end of the wire which plugs into the pump - the only thing that doesn't happen is for the pump to work. I have taken it to my local garage and he has verified what I found but can't see anything else.

As the main dealer want £75 just to put it on the dioagnostics machine I am reluctant to try that. My next thought is to try and get a replacement for the plug on the end of the wire in case it is a bad connection - anyone got any other ideas please?
Andy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Andy -

How did you check the 12V 'power' to the pump motor ?

If you are using a voltmeter - you will read the battery voltage, when you activate the washer - provided the wiring has continuity.
If you again use the voltmeter - AND a rather hefty bulb (21Watts front blinker) to LOAD the connector wiring harness - then you will probably see no light or very little light from the bulb - and the voltmeter reading MUCH less than 12V.

The reason is high resistance in the pumpmotor wiring harness - because of corrosion.
Only solution is to try cut back the wiring getting past the 'rotten' part usually right before the connector. Then using standard crimp spades connecting to the pump again. If that doesnt help - you will have to go further back the wiring harness and find the next connector - and then try again - possibly with a whole new twin wire out to the pump motor(s). Standard household appliance twinwire is perfect for such repairs - as such wiring is rated at max 10Amps.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
andyps

Post by andyps »

I used my simple circuit tester first off, but then borrowed a proper circuit tester from my local garage - it is one which connects to the battery and then you touch the tip to the connector you are checking for current. Basically, doing this the test light shows green when no current and red with power - when checking this is what I got when switching the washers on, and as it is apump which works one way for the front washers and the other for the rears I got the corect response from it for each based on touching the two connecting terminals.

My problem is that I can't really see why the wire would have failed as it looks pretty clean and well protected everywhere. I will try chasing the wires though.
Andy
andyps

Fixed!!

Post by andyps »

I have fixed the washers today - went ot a scrappies and cut a connector off another Citroen with a decent amount of wire. Checked it with this plug on a direct connection and the washers worked so I connected the wires in to the original circuit with block connectors and I have working washers front and rear - major relief. Basically it must have been the connections which failed, not very good on a three and a bit year old car, but at least it works now.
Andy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

High resistance connections are the cause of many a fault. When checking for voltage you need to put a load on it, as Anders said. Ohms law put simply says : it takes one volt to push one amp through one ohm. As most meters have a very high resistance and therefore draw practically no current, they will still read 12v with quite a high resistance in circuit, in this case your connector.