things to look out for when buying c5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nipper123

things to look out for when buying c5

Post by nipper123 »

hi all, i am about to start looking for a c5 estate to replace my xantia.is ther any common fauls that i should look out for or be aware of.
thanks.
nip.

p.s. anyone want to buy a t reg xantia 2.0 hdi lx, ex condition, mot aug tax july.(but wet under rear seats lol)
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Avoid the HPi engine like the plague!

IIRC 2.2 HDi's come complete with particulate filters which adds to the hassle and cost factor. Eolys fluid, re-setting ECU's, new particulate filters etc.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Check the opening glass on the tailgate, they can cease to operate due to broken wires internally. My own car is now on No.4 which has just ceased to work :(

For simplicity the 2.0 Hdi is the best, earlier ones at least have no particulate filter, Eolys fluid, etc. I would definitely go for the 110 and not the 90.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have read of a problems with the dual mass flywheel failing, I dont know how common this is, but it would be an expensive repair. Can anyone out there enlighten us?
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Yes, the dual mass flywheels do fail. The symptoms start out as occasional momentary clutch slip, which gradually gets worse. Allow it to go on for too long, and the flywheel can actually come apart and exit through the bell housing, making an expensive repair job a VERY expensive repair job :shock:

Problems can start to arise any time after about 50k miles. The good news is that Valeo do a replacement clutch kit with a conventional flywheel, thus ensuring the problem doesn't arise again. To be fair, PSA aren't the only manufacurere who have trouble with these infernal devices!
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

What is the HPi engine? Is it just a petrol engine using similar technology to the HDi?

I'm on the lookout for a C5 estate too. I'd pretty much decided on the 110HDi engine, I have it in my Xantia and it's terrific. Petrol was never in the running but I'll avoid the 2.2 based on what I've read here.

When the C5 was new I read about clonking from the back end that nobody seemed able to fix. Is anybody aware of this issue? It can't have been a big problem or I'd have read about it on here before now.

Currently we are undecided between 406 or C5 estates, is there anything to recommend one over the other?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

The clonking from the back end was only a problem on the saloon, not the estate as far as I remember.
I'd say go for the C5, but then I'm biased. You can load it up to it's maximum capacity and the self levelling suspension means it still stays level, and you can lower the rear to make loading easier. It's a very practical car.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Redblack

If you are thinking of a 406, I would go for one with a 2.1 td engine - a known quantity and from what I have read and from my own experience, more durable - but without the hydropnumatic of course.
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Go for the 2.0 Hdi 110 (says a 2.2 Hdi owner).

Look for slack driver's seat belt. I had to have mine changed under warranty.

Or, better still...... stick with a good Xantia.

cheers,

Kev
Cheers, Kev

02 plate C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive SE (now 170k miles 03/21).

Used to have:- Xantia 1.9 TurboD SX. 1996 Blue & 1998 Silver Activa. + 1992 BX TZD Turbo.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

reblack68 wrote:What is the HPi engine? Is it just a petrol engine using similar technology to the HDi?
Simple answer : yes.

There are no direct injection petrol engines in widespread use. All petrol engines you will know off is either the standard mono or multipoint engines, with injectors located somewhere in the inlet manifold.

Most manufacturers including PSA, long had the thought that a direct injected petrol engine, with a massively high injection pressure (just like the diesel HDI), would return outstanding petrol engine performance.
Hence the development of a HPI engine type.

Real life however showed that this type petrol engine had embarrasing performance indeed. No more power, no better economy, even no less pollution, than already wellknown petrol engine types.
In fact it has shown worse.
Add to this a complicated setup with costly high pressure components.

One of the latest major fiascos for the car industry.

Note : HPI and HDI setups employs injection of fuel directly into the combustion chambers.
Standard injected petrols have low pressure injectors in the inlet manifold, and standard diesels have the fuel injected into a swirl chamber. This is also known as INdirect injection.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
AtitudeJim
My Cars:

Post by AtitudeJim »

i got a c5 2.0 hdi 110 estate, only problems with it were the fuel sender unit and the opening on the back window, i have 89000miles and a Ecu remap some 3 months ago.

how to fix the opening switch on the back window? anoybody knows?
(04) Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 110hp (uk)
(90) Pug 205 1.8D (uk)
(92) Vw Polo G40 (pt)
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

I'd say the switch is not the problem, it's almost certainly broken wiring in the rear glass itself- the only cure is to get a new glass.
The problem is meant to have been sorted, but on my own car, window number 4 has just gone the same way.
I think I can live without this feature....there was a new glass on ebay a while back, I knew I should have bought it!!
curly
My Cars:

C5 what to look out for

Post by curly »

Hi I bought a C5 2.2 HDI estate last august and after a few weeks noticed when cold the car had a slight rocking motion, took it back told nothing wrong (as per usual) ran out of warranty problem got worse then found out it was the injectors .Cost me £600 to have them recond car had only done 76000 miles when I bought it .So make sure if you test drive one the engine is cold

But it's still a lovely drive

Curly