What should the engine idle at?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SteveG

What should the engine idle at?

Post by SteveG »

I guess the subject line says it all, really?

My 97 Xantia 1.9TD idles at about 1000rpm which I fancy is rather high. Am I right, and if so, what's the most likely cause?

TIA
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I amy be wrong, but on a '97 XUD I believe you have a vacuum operated coldstart timing & idle rpm modifier. This could be stuck.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it has a mechanical pump that you can adjust, its usually the speed that gives least vibration in the car, round about 800 rpm. If its electronic I don't think theres much you can do about it.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

It does sound like the cold start electrovalve could be faulty. Seems to be a very common fault on 1.9TDs of around that age. The valve is about £14 from Citroen last time I bought one.
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Check that the pipes are all intact coming from the vacuum that pulls the cold start device on the pump. If the idle has been high for a while you may need to free up the idle on the pump. You will see the two electrovalves to the left of the LHM tank, one is for the EGR the other is for the cold start - you can trace the pipes from them.

Brian
97 Xantia TD
(93 Xantia TD & 93 Xantia TD)
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

My newly aquired 1999 1.9TD is like this too.

Haven't had time to look yet but as mentioned above it is so often the electrovalve. Just once I had to replace the vacuum cable bit as the cable inner had broken up (like the end of a bike brake cable does) and was jamming.

I happen to have a vacuum tester so that makes it easy to apply and release vacuum to the capsule to check it, the cable and the lever on the pump are all OK.

Final check is to see that you have a source of vacuum OK and then, split hoses apart, you will have to get a new valve.

David
SimonT
My Cars:

Re: What should the engine idle at?

Post by SimonT »

SteveG wrote:I guess the subject line says it all, really?

My 97 Xantia 1.9TD idles at about 1000rpm which I fancy is rather high. Am I right, and if so, what's the most likely cause?

TIA
I have a 95 Xantia 1.9TD and it idles, and always has, at about 900-950 with no faults so I assume this is normal. Hope that info helps a bit. :)
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

The correct idle speed depends on engine code and pump type but mostly they should idle normally at 800-875rpm and fast idle at 950-1050rpm.

Either yours is set a bit too high or the fast idle is stuck on a bit. Not that it matters if you dont mind.

David
2009 C5 HDi VTR+Nav Tourer
2006 C3 HDi Desire
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

David W wrote: Either yours is set a bit too high or the fast idle is stuck on a bit. Not that it matters if you dont mind.

David
For normal driving it doesn't bother me very much and I've learned to deal with it but I also teach advanced driving skills to potential IAM members and here is where I have a problem. We teach that when coming to a stop (say at traffic lights) you don't change down as you slow down but stay in whatever gear you were driving in, come to a stop, apply the parking brake and then select neutral. With the high tickover this means I have to dip the clutch sooner than I would normally and "coast" the last bit ~ and coasting is frowned upon.

I'll investigate on Saturday ~ I've got to do a demonstration drive for a new pupil on Sunday :)