Activa Electrovalve: Where is it?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Activa Electrovalve: Where is it?

Post by CitroJim »

Even though I've been all over my Activa, I just cannot find the Activa Electrovalve. I want to check it is working as it should given that one of my Hydractive Electrovalves was not working.

So where on earth is it? I can't find it at the front near one of the Activa Spheres and nor at the rear by the other Activa Sphere. All I can find are the Hydractive Electrovalves..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Activa Electrovalve: Where is it?

Post by Mandrake »

citrojim wrote:Even though I've been all over my Activa, I just cannot find the Activa Electrovalve. I want to check it is working as it should given that one of my Hydractive Electrovalves was not working.

So where on earth is it? I can't find it at the front near one of the Activa Spheres and nor at the rear by the other Activa Sphere. All I can find are the Hydractive Electrovalves..
Hi Jim,

It is most definately at the rear on the block the rear Activa sphere is screwed onto...just look a little harder and you'll find it :lol: That is, unless someone has unplugged the cable!! :?

The Activa control block externally looks almost the same as a Hydractive control block, (internally its piping is a little different) and I believe that the electrovalve is actually identical and interchangable with a HA one.

If its a late model Series 2 car it might have XM style Hydractive blocks rather than the older Xantia kind.

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Are you sure you did not just bought a Xantia with the 'Activa' logo hatch door fitted :lol:

Seriously : look at the front ARB droplinks. One side will be a hydraulic ram cylinder on an Activa.

This is the mechanical linkage for the front active anti-roll system :
(note the similarity with the standard HC setup for the height correction)
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 355100.gif
and here is the the front ram cylinder shown :
http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 352150.gif

You should find 10 separate spheres on an Activa :
4 x wheel suspension spheres.
2 x center hydractive rigidity spheres
1 x rear antisink acc sphere
1 x main system acc sphere
2 x activa antiroll acc spheres
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Simon,

I shall take a better look. I've not yet ventured far under the back. All my efforts have concentrated at the front so far and as the rear HC could do with a bit of lube it's a good excuse to have a look around that area closely. I guess the Activa Electrovalve can be tested as you describe for testing an HA Electrovalve?

Thanks Anders,

Most useful diagrams, those 8)

No doubt it is an Activa :wink: It has the rams and it has 10 spheres. The rear looks like it has a bunch of green grapes hanging down from it....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

At the front, the additional Activa/Balancing sphere is located just below the air filter with a thin pipe running into it as per rear Anti-sink sphere.

The rear Activa/balancing sphere can be identified by looking at the block its mounted on and comparing its appearance with the block that's alongside it. The Activa block has a bleed nipple on one side, the HA block does not.

The purpose of the nipple is used to depressurise the Activa high pressure side of the system when changing the front sphere mentioned above, if you don't release this pressure then be prepared for an LHM shower!
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH