Xantia blower motors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia blower motors

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would wait for CitroJim to respond to that, as I do not know the answer to that question.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The MJ11015 the correct one and is a PNP Darlington. Trust me on that. I am an electronics engineer by profession. I know my transistors ;)

It was chosen for this role so that no insulation was needed between its collector and the heatsink it is attached to. All for economy and cheapness. Like the omission of emitter resistors that would have assisted current sharing and made the module more reliable.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

According to this site: ON Semiconductors.
The NPN Darlington Bipolar Power Transistor is designed for use as output devices in complementary general purpose amplifier applications. The MJ11015 (PNP); MJ11012 and MJ11016 (NPN) are complementary devices.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

luisaam wrote:Thank you, I got it all now.

Now, I have just bought the MJ11015 transistors, but I was told they were NPN darlington, not PNP. And the seller told me there wasn't such a thing as a PNP MJ11015, to be PNP it has to held another reference.

Is this a problem, that is, using MJ11015 NPN?
A quick google search suggests your supplier is wrong:

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/MJ11012-D.PDF

PNP Darlington.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
luisaam
My Cars: Citroen Xantia

Post by luisaam »

Hi, everybody, just to let you know the repair was totally successful!

Thank you all for your help!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

luisaam wrote:Hi, everybody, just to let you know the repair was totally successful!

Thank you all for your help!
That brilliant news Luís :D =D>

I'm utterly delighted!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
beko1987
My Cars: 2002 Xsara HDI 110

Post by beko1987 »

Aha, google fu always brings me back here with xantia related questions!

09.50, parked up at work, popped her into high because the dead spheres result in sinkage if not, turned the key back to knock the engine off and Phoomph - fans on full blast. Cursory move of the speed control from auto to min and nothing.

So, providing it hasn't magically fixed itself by lunchtime when I'll have another look, I have been pointed to the Resistor module by the facebook group.

I've read Jim's excellent as usual guide on the subject, and expressed delight that the resistors are still actually sold, and my pigeon s**t soldering may be good enough, failing that I'll get my stepdad a bottle of ale and leave it with him and just have no fans for a day, but...

I found this on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heater-Blower ... 3641.l6368, infact there's quite a few looking around. But a few pages back on this thread concern was expressed that their s**t and have the wrong resistors fitted.

So - repair mine or buy a new unit? My other question is, is there a guide somewhere to get at the resistor pack? Do I have to drop the whole motor unit down and have it apart?
The handy thing is it's bloody freezing at the moment, so fans on full isn't a massive pain for the short term, judicious use of the floor vents and closing the dash vents will help, as well as cracking a window if things get too hot, but I'll have to turn the radio up a bit higher than usual.

MOT tomorrow morning too, at least the tester will be toasty as he does the internal checks!
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

So your heater control is stuck on hot as well, judging from the comment about opening a window?

If that's the case could there be something else amiss too, rather than the blower module?
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
beko1987

Post by beko1987 »

No, sorry, the window comment was flippant!

Temp and direction works fine, but the fans are on full tilt no matter what the setting is.

Well, I presume the remperature works fine, will test it on the way home tonight. I had a try at lunchtime and the magical elves had not visited as it was still an issue
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

beko1987 wrote: I found this on ebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heater-Blower ... 3641.l6368, infact there's quite a few looking around. But a few pages back on this thread concern was expressed that their s**t and have the wrong resistors fitted.
Yes, some of those are definitely dodgy... They often have the wrong transistors and don't work... I had one in an XM I once owned... Ex-owner thought it must be a really serious issue if a new regulator didn't fix the issue...

Those eBay modules can be made good by replacing the transistors with the correct ones but the genuine transistors cost as much again...

Best to fix your old one... It's not difficult if you (or a friend/relative) can solder... I take it you've seen the guide on here?
Jim

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

beko1987 wrote: 09.50, parked up at work, popped her into high because the dead spheres result in sinkage if not,
Flat spheres won't cause your Xantia to sink to the bottom when left standing if its an anti-sink model. It will be something else, such as a leaky ram or anti-sink valve.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote:
beko1987 wrote: 09.50, parked up at work, popped her into high because the dead spheres result in sinkage if not,
Flat spheres won't cause your Xantia to sink to the bottom when left standing if its an anti-sink model. It will be something else, such as a leaky ram or anti-sink valve.
No, indeed not, not completely anyway... Which end is sinking?
Jim

beko1987

Post by beko1987 »

The rear goes down (not all the time, but most). The blower motors ran fine this morning, will get them changed but...

Just had an MOT fail. Going to find my thread and update it to not de-rail this one. Anyone got a spare drivers seat for cheap/free? condition not cared about!
1997 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen XM
1994 Citroen ZX
1997 Citroen Xantia
2005 Renault Laguna
2001 Renault Laguna
2002 Peugeot 406

1997 Citroen ZX
2002 Citroen Xsara
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

beko1987 wrote: Just had an MOT fail. Going to find my thread and update it to not de-rail this one. Anyone got a spare drivers seat for cheap/free? condition not cared about!
Sorry to hear about the MoT :(

No, just rehomed a driver's seat but have 90% of a passengers seat - seat foam rehomed. Is that any use for parts for yours?
Jim

clydeowenp
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2000 Citroen Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (waiting repair, burst hydraulic pipe sent it through a hedge!)
1995 Peugeot 106 Roland Garros (converted from petrol to 1.4 diesel)
1963 Triumph based Spartan Roadster kit car 2.5 litre.
2002 Peugeot 307 Rapier 2.0 HDi (In daily use)
2006 Peugeot 307cc Hdi Sport (Getting it ready for the summer)

Post by clydeowenp »

chinkostu wrote: 05 Aug 2016, 09:19 French electrics aren't unreliable but they can throw some funky issues as you've found out! how easy was it to swap the fusebox out though? theres not much room under the dash to get at it!

I had a Saxo where the Electric PAS pump and the radiator fan both stopped working. Could not find the issue for ages, fuses were fine and everything else on the car worked. Turned out the wire leading from the battery to the fusebox under the bonnet that had perished! How everything else worked completely baffled me.

Sorry it's taken so long to respond, don't get time to go on here as often as I'd like and not very good at finding my way around.
Changing the fuse box on the Xantia is surprisingly easy. Remove the panel under the dash, the bit with the fuse panel access door attached. It took a while to work out how the fuse box is held in but when I released the clips I was able to pull it down far enough to release the connecting blocks. Blocks have a metal bit on te side which you need to press to release them. They are colour coded and so is the back of the fuse box to make refitting easier. The connectors are also designed so it's impossible to fit them in the wrong position when refitting. It can be a bit of a fiddle to reconnect the connector blocks but starting at the top and working downwards makes it easier.
Pushing the fuse box back into place is the most difficult bit as there's no room to get in and pull the wires back up. I just pushed it up hard until it clicked into place making sure I didn't trap any wires.
I can't remember how I released the clips holding the fuse box in but if anyone wants that information email me and I'll do my best to find out.