Xantia blower motors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lurchy666
My Cars: citroen c5 hdi 2.2 auto estate

Post by lurchy666 »

85/ 86 ( u can wire it either way around) are the switch live/perminate earth or perminate live/switch earth, depends what u want to do with it

87 and 30 are feed in and feed out (ie 30 battery 87 to thing u want to power)
c5 2.2 auto hdi estate 52 reg
kevan
My Cars:

Post by kevan »

lurchy666 wrote:85/ 86 ( u can wire it either way around) are the switch live/perminate earth or perminate live/switch earth, depends what u want to do with it

87 and 30 are feed in and feed out (ie 30 battery 87 to thing u want to power)
I'm sure what you've said means something to someone with intelligence :oops: but it just sounds polish to me :shock:

Is there a "dummies guide to wiring up a relay to mend a xantia blower motor" manual out there? i.e. Cut the red wires that go to the brown socket and wire one of them to terminal number XX and the other to terminal xx. now cut splice into the red wire of the grey socket and wire that to terminal xx etc ??

Sorry, but as I say, I'm a complete dunce :oops: 8-[
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
kevan
My Cars:

Post by kevan »

Cheers Clogzz,

I'm slowly getting there, but looking at the final picture, there are only RED wires and GREY wires going to the relay, I can not see the brown wire that is connected to the ring terminal.

As I say, I'm extremely thick :oops: and do not understand wiring diagrams, can you tell me what relay i need to buy from say Maplins (quoting a part number) and then tell me what terminal each wire needs to go to?

I do not have any electrical testing equipment, is there an easy way to find out which GREY wire i need to 'T' into?

I really appreciate your help on this.

Kev :oops:
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Well worth picking up something like this:

Digital Multimeter. Cheap as chips these days.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Hi Kevan,

The relay is of ordinary garden variety as shown, but needs no centre pin.
It should be 12 volts, and of at least 25 Amps, but preferably 40 Amps.

The brown wire with the ring terminal isn’t anywhere; it’s a thin piece of wire that you make up, and goes from pin 85 of the relay to earth, meaning to any metal near there with the ring terminal.

You tap into the red wire from the grey plug, and connect it to pin 86 of the relay.

The two red wires from the brown plug go to pins 30 and 87, no matter which way.

One red wire from the brown plug has a permanent 12 volts straight from the battery; so the battery will need disconnecting for the job, and the radio code re-entered when reconnected.

Enjoy a good fiddle. :mrgreen:

Image Image
kevan
My Cars:

Post by kevan »

WOO HOOOOOOO

Thanks cloggz, that was awesome advice.

My blower and HRW are now both working a treat. Thaks very much and a Happy new Year !!

Kev :D
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Not having any other for comparison -

Image Image

Is the "fan relay mod" fitted to this series II car? If so, can anyone say which relay it is? Curious.

Thanks, Adam.

p.s. Empty socket with green base - is that for the overspeed buzzer?
azor
My Cars:

hope some one will read this, the old hearet fan problem..

Post by azor »

I Own a Xantia 1999 (T reg) 1.9 TD
don’t think it’s an HDI

Not sure if the relay problem fix, i.e. (put in a relay at ignition) is relevant to a 1999 Xantia?

The problem started like this I heard some thing that sounded like an electrical fault
I had no time to find the error at the time and next time I run the car in sounder like some relay got in to stress a high pitch buz, almost like a stuck fly in a box ,and now nothing at all no fan at all!

I have read most of the posts regarding the heater fan, relays and so on, getting more confused as I compare with my car!!

They say in some post, to pull out to reset relays! Is there any relay I should not pull?
when is engine running.

Took of the steering surround, at the ignition key, it did not look like on the picktures i saw on the posts.

Here is pics on mine:http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/774/1003046.jpg
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8061/1003048.jpg

Looked and tested the cables at the motor, the brown square connector, with the engine running and the fan control on full, it gave me 5-6Volt on the black and read
Xantia 1999 1.9 TD Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Azor and welcome to the forum :D

There should be full battery voltage on the thick red and black wires in the brown 4-way plug at all times the ignition is switched on. If you see 5 or 6 volts then this is the issue as once under load the voltage will fall further and likely to nil.

The fan speed is controlled by a signal on the thin orange wire in the 4-way connector that originates from the climate ECU. The lower the voltage on this wire, the faster the fan runs.

Some MK2 Xantias have a relay for the blower and others don't. Mainly it was the up-market models that did. If the relay is there then it will be on the panel shown in Addo's right-hand picture and it will be a green relay out on it's own somewhat and held in by clips if memory serves.

I suspect yours has not got one and that the fundamental problem is that suffered by many MK1 Xantias where the ignition switch fails. There are details of a modification that bypasses the ignition switch for the blower supply by the fitting of a "helper" relay. A topic relating to all kinds of blower problems can be found in the "SuperSticky" area of the forum.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
azor
My Cars:

too many post it became upps

Post by azor »

Thanks Jim

This will help!

I posted this and wrote an email and posted agian

was not sure how old ths posts are, i.e

If any one was reading replies to them, as some of they were from 2007 and so on.

a newbe I am!
:oops:

Roland

:oops:
Xantia 1999 1.9 TD Estate
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Its ok azor, as soon as a new post is added, the thread goes to the top of the list for everyone to see :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
ed4ferrets
My Cars:

Re:

Post by ed4ferrets »

CitroJim wrote:Hi Azor and welcome to the forum :D

There should be full battery voltage on the thick red and black at all times the ignition is switched on. If you see 5 or 6 volts then this is the issue as once under load the voltage will fall further and likely to nil.

The fan speed is controlled by a signal on the thin orange wire in the 4-way connector that originates from the climate ECU. The lower the voltage on this wire, the faster the fan runs.

Some MK2 Xantias have a relay for the blower and others don't. Mainly it was the up-market models that did. If the relay is there then it will be on the panel shown in Addo's right-hand picture and it will be a green relay out on it's own somewhat and held in by clips if memory serves.

I suspect yours has not got one and that the fundamental problem is that suffered by many MK1 Xantias where the ignition switch fails. There are details of a modification that bypasses the ignition switch for the blower supply by the fitting of a "helper" relay. A topic relating to all kinds of blower problems can be found in the "SuperSticky" area of the forum.
My MK2 Xant has a relay fitted as original but the blower does not run at all. There is full battery voltage on the thick red wire in the brown 4-way plug but the thick black wire is dead. The relay has been removed and contacts cleaned but no change. Any ideas of how to go forward will be appreciated :roll: Oh and the rear window heater does not work either!
Ed

'63 Renault Caravelle - stored
'99 Xantia 1.9TD Estate - matrix done:))
Clogzz
My Cars:

Re: Xantia blower motors

Post by Clogzz »

The thick black wire is the earth, so has no voltage on it.
The rear demister not working means that the ignition switch is cactus.
Try touching the blower relay when turning the key to ignition to feel if it clicks.
If not, the switching of the blower relay needs transferring to another switch contact as discussed on the first page.