Xantia lhm leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fangy

Xantia lhm leak

Post by fangy »

Hi, I've got a Xantia 1.9TD VSX (95) thats started leaking LHM fluid, the leak's coming from a pipe connected to a metal cylinder that has a few small metal pipes coming out of it and one big pipe that wraps round the cylinder and connects underneath it. Shown with the red arrow.Image

Can anybody tell me what this cylinder is, green arrow? (it's the big pipe thats leaking, blue arrow).Image

The whole thing is under the bonnet, bolted to the bulk head just in front of the driver. The big pipe runs the width of the car towards the LHM tank, but I can't see where it goes, can anyone tell me where this pipe goes? and what's involved in changing it, if someone could walk me through it, it would be great.
Thanks,
Fangy.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

That will be the brake valve or by another name the doseur valve.

The rubber pipes are only low pressure return hoses, these can be fixed by using short bits of brake piping (any size that fits) and rubber piping with clips.

Any rubber that is ok with petrol, diesel or engine oil, is fine with LHM.

The other possible leak, is the rubber cap on the inside end of the brake valve, this you will have to remove the valve to see.

Finaly, just to make you happy! It's a bitch to get off, as the car was not designed to be right hand drive, for all of our European neighbours who drive on the "wrong side" it's easy as it is located on the other side with much more room.

Regards
Slim.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you can usualy chop a short amount off of this pipe and just refit it a couple of times,but as slim said its a whatsit of a job i have done a couple of them now,i found the best way was to unbolt the dosuer valve from the bulk head and move it away just enough to fix the pipe,without stresing the metal pipes
regards malcolm
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks for the help, One more thing, will I need to bleed the brakes? if so is it just the same as bleeding the brakes on any car?
Fangy.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

No need to bleed the brakes if you are not undoing any metal pipes, the rubber is only a return to the reservoir.

Regards
Slim.
fangy

Post by fangy »

Thanks again for the help.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as slim said no need to bleed brakes if you are not undoing any of the metal pipes,but if and when you do venture there its nothing like bleeding conventional brakes as the presure is there all the time after the system is pumped up
regards malcolm