Query re Xantia clutch change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

UFO
My Cars:

Query re Xantia clutch change

Post by UFO »

I know someone here will know the answer/have info at hand. One of the old blokes nearby in the CCC of NSW has an SX 8v manual Xantia which desperately requires a clutch change. He has got the new clutch and I am rounding up troops to do the job.

By the way this is a petrol car, not diesel.

I need to know:

1/ Does the Haynes BOFT describe the job fairly accurately?
2/ Is it worthwhile doing other jobs "while we are there"? eg driveshaft seals etc
3/ Does the RH driveshaft have an intermediate bearing and if yes should we do that too?
4/ We are assuming the engine can be left in situ and we separate the box and replace later - yes?

Any other gotchas?

Thanks
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

not sure what the haynee ase BOL says,but citroen say replace the diff seals, yes the engine dose stay in place,and the right hand shaft dose have intermediate bearing,i would spin it to see if it was noisy,the other thing which it payes to check is the clutch fork spindle nylon bushes,if there is any play in these its best to replace them
regards malcolm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Craig -

If you are familiar with the standard XU (16/19) engines in the BX series - then its 100% the same job.

IIRC only diesel Xantiae have the pull release clutch - which presses the spring plate from inside out towards the gearbox to release the clutch.
I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wrong :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
slim123

Post by slim123 »

My only add is that most books will tell you to remove only the left hand drive shaft. I allways removed both, as it dont take long and it saves the hassle of having to align 2 x splined shafts when refitting.

If it's a pull type clutch, then once the gearbox is back on, put 2 x bolts in and then refit the cable to check the action, if it feels wrong then it is!! shame to find out this after the shafts are fitted and the car is ready for a test.

Other than that, much the same as a BX.

Regards
Slim.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with slim remove both shafts,as i have had to fix a xant with a bent intermediate shaft due to some ploncker doing a clutch job without removing the O/S(right hand) shaft
regards malcolm