Xantia Clutch Clip now fitted Thanks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Malcolm
My Cars:

Xantia Clutch Clip now fitted Thanks

Post by Malcolm »

It may have taken in the region of two hours to do in the dark, but now it's done, many thanks to all. A big thanks to Rory for supplying clip.

Having familiarised myself with the pieces and what goes where, the problem I did experience in the run upto failure was on releasing cluth pedal it seemed to stick momentarily. Looking at the old clip, the tube bit that the nipple is inserted into was broken off so was possibly snagging before total failure.

Now the big question is, does the clutch need replacing. I've operated it and seems to be operating smoothly. Is the failure of this part a definate indication of clutch being so far gone or could it just be down to this piece being 9 years old?
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive the clip faliure is 99% of the time down to clutch on its way out,is your pedle action very heavy,as this is i feel why the clip goes
regards malcolm
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I'm with Malcolm on this one. The clip is strong enough to do the job whilst the clutch itself is fine, but as the clutch gets worn, it gets heavy, therefore breaking the clip.

A new clip will last well as of course it is new and stronger than the old one.

One thing that I have noticed is that the replacement clips are white plastic, where as the original clips were black plastic.

It could be that the replacement clips are made with stronger plastic?

Regards
Slim
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Malcolm, it doesn't feel heavy, but then again you get so accustomed to gradual deterioration of vehicles, it's only when you have a go in a new car that you realise how slack or stiff things are.

I certainly don't want egg on my face ignoring advice for sake of shelling out a few quid - niether do I want to shell out if not req'd.

Would a comparison with another be a good idea, even having someone else with Xantia have a go in mine.

The notes from RichardW were very good. I managed to remove and replace bolt from same side with brake pedal depressed having removed black cylinder.
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

I have had 2 Xantia clips go (50K miles apart) with a perfectly OK clutch FWIW. Changed the cable on both occasions. Still on the original clutch after 100K.
belive the clip faliure is 99% of the time down to clutch on its way out,is your pedle action very heavy,as this is i feel why the clip goes
regards malcolm
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Don't always rush to change the clutch. My clip failed just under 105k miles in May 2004. The car is now on 174k miles and the clutch seems fine, albeit still heavy. And this is after boosting the pump/turbo at 100k.

I think the plastic clip just time expires. I'm rather pleased I fitted a metal clip in its place though.
Pug Rifter long (20) - 41mpg - Gutsy for a 1.5!
Xantia 1.9 TD Temp.2 Break (97) - 208K@42mpg - Resting again.
Berlingo Multispace 1.6 16v (51) - 184K@36mpg - My shed! Still runs 15° retarded...