Xantia Clutch Clip on Auto-adjust Cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Malcolm
My Cars:

Xantia Clutch Clip on Auto-adjust Cable

Post by Malcolm »

Before I tackle replacing the Clutch Clip as previously discussed, am I OK using the existing auto adjust cable? Is there any different procedure other than assistant pushing at gearbox end to enable location of nipple in clip?

When I was first investigating problem I did have a bit of a pull and push on the inner cable at gearbox end. Even though I know I need to get the clutch replaced, I'm just concerned about reconnecting cable and it not allowing correct engagement, what's left, of plates.

Anyone got any advise please.

Thanks to Rory for letting me have his surplus clip.
Malcolm
'98 Xantia Estate LX - RIP 13/08/16
'08 Renault Trafic 115dci
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i belive both types of cable are fitted to the clip in the same maner
regards malcolm
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks for that Malcolm. However it works, I was concerned that the auto adjust might have taken some length out of the inner effectively, thus preventing clutch engagement.
Malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its the same as the XM cable, it will have a spring around the outer near the pedal end. You can release the adjustment by pulling the spring end nearest the pedal toward you as you pull the inner out. On the XM I made a tool from a straightened metal coat hanger with the end bent into a hook and slid it along the back of the engine, so I could pull on it whicle trying to hook the end on the clutch lever. Its easier with two people though!
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I have done the auto adjust clutch cable a couple of times on my Xantia by myself. IIRC unhooking the cable at the clutch arm end and pushing it back into the outer gives plenty of slack at the pedal end to locate the clip.

Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))
Malcolm
My Cars:

Post by Malcolm »

Thanks for that guys. My intention is to get the clip done to enable to get it into a garage for a clutch replacement, this being the root cause.

The guy in garage I called qouted me for replacing clip also. When I told him I was changing this so that I could bring it in, he didn't recommend driving it suggesting it may break again after 100 yards.

I previously mentioned that the clutch was getting heavier, different feel on operation, when I took it over to Westroen last week. With a new clip fitted what do you guys think as to reliability to get to garage - about 32 miles?
Malcolm