Xantia Estate Rear Suspension Arm Bush Kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Keith J

Xantia Estate Rear Suspension Arm Bush Kit

Post by Keith J »

My rear suspension arm bushes on my N reg Xantia Esate 1.9TD are shot, so I called up many motor factors whose books say the bush replacement kits that they sell are for all models Except estates.

Are the estate bushes greatly different to the saloon ones? Will I have to go direct to Citroen for these or are pattern parts available?

I find it odd that the estate bush kits aren't available at motor factors (unless of course you know differently).

Thanks
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Are you talking, front suspension, rear bushes, or rear suspension arm bearings.

The rear suspension arms on the Xantia are the same for saloon and estate, so there for the bearing kits will be the same.

Be aware that if the bearings have worn then the arm housing will probabaly have suffered wear too, so you will have the round peg in a square hole syndrome. Much better to fit a re-con arm.

Regards
Slim
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Rear trailing suspension arms that the wheels fit on. They are showing inner tyre wear and clonking over bumps.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

In that case then, Yes the bearing kits are the same for saloon and estate cars. But as said before, if the wear is that bad then you will get the round peg in a square hole syndrome, (well, more an egg shaped hole)

A re-con arm would be easier.

If you are thinking on doing the job soon and its an easy enogh job on axle stands, then you would be well advised to check the "R" clip that joins the suspension cylinder push rod swivel to the arm, if it will not move now, give it a good soaking with easing oil every few days, this will help for dismantling.

Regards
Slim
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thanks Slim. I will see how much recon arms are rather than faffing about with the current (likely worn) ones. Any ideas on recon arm costs?
slim123

Post by slim123 »

http://citroen-hydraulics.com/store/ago ... ensionArms

Piccy shows BX but I know that they do Xantia ones too.

Or try M&C Lockwoods in Bradford.

Regards
Slim.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

GSF do bearings/kits for rear susp/arms,they also used to supply re/con rear arms but i cant find them in there catalogue,otherwise there is a company in RYE kent called JHB enginering who used to re/con BX/XANTIA rear arms,they used to bore them out and sleeve them,i he might sell you just the sleeved arm then you could buy the bearing kit and fit it your self,that should work out a lot cheaper
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you find that the arms are worn, providing there is still enough metal to locate the bearings in position, the bolt will hold it all together. When you reassemble, fill the centre of the tube with grease - they wont go again then!
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I seem to recall reading on this forum that the Estate rear bearings have one different/extra part to the saloons. The bearings themselves are the same however I think that one of the dust covers is different but that it can be re-used from the original setup.

Richard
1998 Xantia 1.9TD Estate (Sold - replaced with Skoda Octavia (sorry))
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

As far as I'm aware the estate rear bearing o/d is larger. The inner being the same as saloon so can use the same bolt.
3 Fiat 124 Sport 1969x2, 1968
2 Fiat 124 Spider 1976, 1971
1 Fiat 20VT Coupe Plus
BUT maybe moving to France
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Bernie & Richard : you are right -

The bearings and seals are different for the Xantia Estate. The standard rear arm repair kit for Xantia saloon & BX (all) wont do for the estate.

But still its cheaper getting the repair set - AND the correct Estate bearings & seals. That way you get all the bits you need cheapest way - and may put the 'wrong' (saloon) bearings & seals in the 'for sale' section. I'm sure one of the members here would buy them off you at a fair price :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

AndersDK wrote:Bernie & Richard : you are right -

The bearings and seals are different for the Xantia Estate. The standard rear arm repair kit for Xantia saloon & BX (all) wont do for the estate.

But still its cheaper getting the repair set - AND the correct Estate bearings & seals. That way you get all the bits you need cheapest way - and may put the 'wrong' (saloon) bearings & seals in the 'for sale' section. I'm sure one of the members here would buy them off you at a fair price :wink:
And you are right, Anders. :D
That is the best way to purchase the bits you need.
3 Fiat 124 Sport 1969x2, 1968
2 Fiat 124 Spider 1976, 1971
1 Fiat 20VT Coupe Plus
BUT maybe moving to France
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Can someone tell me the approximate size/weight of a bearing/seal kit ? (For a hatchback)

I'm planning to do the rear arm bearings on mine soon, and just in case I have trouble obtaining them in NZ, I wanted to see if it was pratical to import them....

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Keith J

Post by Keith J »

Thanks for all of your replies. I've now found a motor factor who claims his kit is for all models of Xantia. We shall see when I pick it up on Monday.
ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

Mandrake wrote:Can someone tell me the approximate size/weight of a bearing/seal kit ? (For a hatchback)
SKF VKDA 23001 Rear Arm Bering Kit for BX

Bolt/Nut/Washer.....427g
Spacer ...................275g
Bearings x2............150g
Thrust Bushes x2.....80g
Seals x2...................25g
Dust Cover...............20g
Box ........................115g

Total......................1092g

box dimensions.....330x75x105 mm

The bolt, spacer, thrust bushes and possibly the dust cover should be reusable.

GSF and others do the bearings and seals separately.

Regards,
David