Warning light?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SimonT
My Cars:

Warning light?

Post by SimonT »

Hi, anyone know what this warning light is for on my Xantia 1.9 TD sx?
It's the yellow one bottom left on this pic.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
Sturdybloke

Post by Sturdybloke »

I have the same lamp on my Xantia. But as mine is a 1993 Diesel its not in use, although when strong sun shines on the dash you can see it.

Anyhow back to the symbol (according to my handbook) - Engine auto-diagnosis:- If it flashes or lights up a fault is indicated within the fuel injection or ignition systems; engine performance and running may be impared*.

You could have a dodgy sensor somewhere. Or simply a sheared cable.

* On Fords with engine managment systems when they have a problem or sensor failure they go into "limp home" mode. This means that the car can only be driven at up to 30 MPH and the revs are limited to say 2500 RPM. Are any of these symptons on your Xantia
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Sturdybloke wrote:
* On Fords with engine managment systems when they have a problem or sensor failure they go into "limp home" mode. This means that the car can only be driven at up to 30 MPH and the revs are limited to say 2500 RPM. Are any of these symptons on your Xantia

does this on my xsara hdi , needed ecu reprogramed
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Engine diagnostics light, it should light up when you switch on the ignition and go out when the car is started.

If it stays on you need the ECU fault codes read to point at the actual problem.
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

Cool, cheers guys. It does go out when the car's running but as it's not needed since mine's a diesel, it looks like I got a bit carried away when I recently replaced the blown bulbs in the dash!!!!!
Oh well.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

So the ecu warning light works even on the pre-ecu diesels? Crazy!

I wonder what its connected to that makes it light up, perhaps just a simple bulb test system in the instrument panel?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Mine never lit up in my 97 TD est,pre ecu.Even when i replaced the dash bulbs,i put a new bulb in but it never worked. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

nick wrote:So the ecu warning light works even on the pre-ecu diesels? Crazy!

I wonder what its connected to that makes it light up, perhaps just a simple bulb test system in the instrument panel?
I wondered to. Think it must be just a lamp test as it goes off once engine starts with all the others. Spooky thought though where it actually goes to lol
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I've had the light come on a couple of times when driving my 1997 1.9TD. I always wondered what the engine management was actually managing. It seams the answer is "nothing".
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

reblack68 wrote:I've had the light come on a couple of times when driving my 1997 1.9TD. I always wondered what the engine management was actually managing. It seams the answer is "nothing".
On a 97 Xantia the chances are that the engine does have an ECU, which acts to fine tune fuel timing and IIRC emission control solonoids.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

My '98 XN 2.5 TD has the diagnostic warning light, and it lit up a while ago. When tested on the local Cit dealers diagnostic device, it told me that the injector needle position sensor was duff.
I replaced no.3 injector (the one with the needle sensor) with a second hand one and it now goes much better.
SO
diesels DO use the diagnostic warning light EVEN when they have electronic injection control.
AND it is very helpful in indicating the need for diagnostics.

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Aha! That may explain why my 1.9TD is showing the K light and not running a smoothly as it should.
During a rather hot spell we had back at the end of April, I put quite a bit of veg in the tank (fine for the temp at the time) but then my cam belt tensioner came off and the car sat until Citrojim and I got it running a couple of days ago.
Where we had snow and rather cold weather, the veg was way too thick for the pump to cope with.
We emptied the tank and flushed through with some clean diesel and it's running better, but there's still a bit of a squeal from the IP I think, and the K light pops on and off.
Going to flush through with more deisel next week.
So it could be the veg has gummed up the injectors a bit.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool