Poor efficiency

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

D.Slatford
My Cars:

Poor efficiency

Post by D.Slatford »

I thought this might be my imagination at one point, but now I'm pretty sure my M reg Xantia 2.0i (8v) is really getting too thirsty - I don't seem to be getting much more than 20MPG out of it lately. I'm sure it was never THIS bad. A full tank may get me a little over 300 miles, but not much more.
Is there anything I can do to combat this? I know cleaning the injectors may help, I've tried injector cleaner not long ago, how much might it cost to have a garage clean them on a proper rig?
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

If you have read my recent post about my change of thermostat, that might be some help.
On my car the thermostat was opening far too early, leading to the engine running too cool, and this was particularly true during the recent cool weather we have had. By changing the thermostat I am now getting at least 15% better fuel economy. What sort of driving are you doing, is it mainly town driving, or is your average mpg based on a mixture of in/out of town running?
As for injector cleaners I've used Wynn's cleaner in the past which has helped. But apart from that its been a matter of regular servicing to keep my car fit.