SLOW SUSPENSION

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia93eko

SLOW SUSPENSION

Post by xantia93eko »

hi i am a new user i have a 93 xantia 1.9 td recently i had a pump seize i replaced with a second hand one but since then suspension has been very slow to rise first thing, sometimes ten minutes after which it will be ok until parked overnight then same again next day .lhm has been changed and filters cleaned , i do seem to be getting lots of air bubbles in the resevoir HELP PLEASE CANNOT BE LATE FOR WORK ANY MORE
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Most likely problem is that the flexible hose to the pump has cracked or not secured tightly. As you have obviously been handling it to change the pump my guess is a crack or two, causing it to suck in air. Usually on the bend where it fits onto the pump.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Sounds as if the secondhand pump is stuffed.
hi i am a new user i have a 93 xantia 1.9 td recently i had a pump seize i replaced with a second hand one but since then suspension has been very slow to rise first thing
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
xantia93eko

Post by xantia93eko »

hi thanks for replies i will try the pipe first as i never changed the clip and only pushed on after pump change. Strange thing is it is ok once the car has gone up in the morning .Also just thought when the car is first driven after the slow rise occasionally the steering goes stiff momentarily as if it does not have enough fluid or there is air in the system it all seems to be linked.Will let you know how i get on thanks
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Intermittent stiff steering could be the pump belt slipping, but make sure the connection is secure first.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

xantia93eko wrote:hi thanks for replies i will try the pipe first as i never changed the clip and only pushed on after pump change.
If you can push the hose on with the clip still in place, or rotate the hose with the clip on it's not tight enough.

Also the crimp type clips can't be reused - replace it with a jubilee clip and tighten it until you can't rotate the hose.

Also be very careful with the end of the hose - they seem to go hard and brittle with age and will split very easily when you push it back on unless you push it squarely and carefully...(ask me how I know... :evil: )
Strange thing is it is ok once the car has gone up in the morning .Also just thought when the car is first driven after the slow rise occasionally the steering goes stiff momentarily as if it does not have enough fluid or there is air in the system it all seems to be linked.Will let you know how i get on thanks
A very long delay before starting to pressurize (minutes) is a classic symptom of an air leak causing the pump to lose its prime after standing overnight...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
xantia93eko

Post by xantia93eko »

Thanks to everyone who replied to my problem especially peter n you seem to have got it right i put a jubilee clip on both ends of pump feed pipe and hey presto less than 2 mins to pump up this morning. I still noticed the steering go stiff momentarily a couple of times but only in the first 5 minutes after that all was fine many thanks again going to try my luck now with my light problem