Saxo vtr gear linkage help?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PETE83
My Cars:

Saxo vtr gear linkage help?

Post by PETE83 »

i own a saxo vtr on an 1999 plate and the gear remote has gone very sloppy(even when in gear, It moves side to side very easy)? but still changes gear fine,iv been asking about and ive been told by a friend of a friend that its more than likely its the linkage. Whats the baest thing to do about this? does it need replacing or is there a was to tighten it. can anyone shed any light on this please.

Thanks
Pete
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I'd get underneath and give all the linkage a thorough examination - by which I mean give it all a good pull and a shake and see if you can find the play. Its probably one joint or pivot only that has gone and you can then just replace that bit. Some have a bolt forming one of the pivots and that may just need tightening or a new lock nut.

While there its probably worth lubricating the rest of the joints - it makes a surprising difference. You may find something like spray grease is handy for getting up into the joints - which are nearly impossible to get grease into otherwise.
jeremy
PETE83
My Cars:

Post by PETE83 »

the top linkage arm is very loose so it must be that? can it really be that simple?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Yes - it probably is. I expect on examination it'll be fairly easy to determine which bits do the fore/aft movement and which bits do the sideways. From underneath its probably quite easy to operate the bottom of the gearlever and put your hand round the offending joint to feel what's happening.

I'm used to BX TD's where you can barely see anything from above. I know on our ZX you can see some of the front rods from above and with someone to waggle the lever you can probably see something. Be careful of an assistant moving the lever while you grasp a joint as the mechanism provides a mechanical advantage and you could accidentally find your hand crushed.
jeremy
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

check number 2 in this picture,check the ball has'nt fallen off the end. this lever is bolted onto the bulkhead.