Xantia - variable rear suspension height

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GB
My Cars:

Xantia - variable rear suspension height

Post by GB »

The rear suspension in my Xantia SX Estate is behaving strangely: most of the time the rear height and suspension softness are spot on (following recent height corrector adjustment). However, on some occasions I notice the rear suspension becomes quite harsh as a result of increased rear suspension height.

Occassionally the rear suspension seems to go up (by up to 2 inches) for no apparent reason. I may, for example, stop at a trafic light and a few secons later the rear suspension goes up, and the ride becomes quite bouncy.

Would this be caused by a faulty height corrector? The clip is firmly on, LHM colour seems OK-ish, rear suspension height seems spot on most of the times, rear spheres replaced 3 months/2K miles ago.

Any recommendations how to diagnose the faulty part?

Regards,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Are you sure there is actually a problem, and that you're not just getting caught out by the footbrake locking the rear height syndrome ?

Eg, you stop at the lights, and the height is a wee bit low, but because you're pressing the foot brake the height corrector can't correct the height.... but it tries too, and puts more pressure in, until you either let your foot off the brake (at which point it springs up) or until it overcomes the grip of the brake and forces its way up.

When exactly does it lift ? Does it correct back down again in a few seconds once you're rolling ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No doubt. The rear of a Xantia should not behave like thatl.

Its height corrector linkage overhaul time.
For starters use the easy option and spray lots of rust loosener on the rear HC and linkage. Then on the next possible opportunity do a proper overhaul with cleaning and lubing.
The spray job may not even work, but usually it brings the linkage into life.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
GB
My Cars:

Post by GB »

Mandrake wrote:Are you sure there is actually a problem, and that you're not just getting caught out by the footbrake locking the rear height syndrome ?
Definitely not - I tried different scenarios, and the rear rises even when not holding the foot brake at all (after stopping).
Mandrake wrote:When exactly does it lift ? Does it correct back down again in a few seconds once you're rolling ?

Regards,
Simon
Yes, it does eventually go down, however it's only after a few minutes of driving.

And another thing I noticed this morning: I parked the car and noticed the rear was unusually high. Tried to bounce the rear of the car but the suspension was extremely hard. However, it suddenly corrected itself (to normal height) and became soft/normal again.

So I think it is corrector linkeage overhaul time as suggested by AndersDK.

Regards,
GB
05 C5 VTR 2.0 HDI
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Yes, that does sound like the height corrector linkage is seized up....

I pity you guys up there with your salty roads!! :lol: (That kind of problem with the linkages rusting is almost non existant down here...)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I pity you guys up there with your salty roads!!

Yes but at least we are on the TOP of the world :D

As for the height problems, I aint gonna get into another long debate, BUT I bet you end up fitting another rear height corrector.

Before.

After.

Belive it or not I have tried to free these off but allways end up visiting Pleiades and getting another one.

Regards
Slim
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

So you think thats bad Slim :lol:

Right - you have a reliability and warranty issue on your customers.

But we have all the time in the world :twisted:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

We're trying to reduce salt corrosion in parts of the UK but - life's never simple:

Sweet-toothed sheep are hampering attempts to defrost icy roads - by eating the sugar-based grit. Flocks of sheep have been spotted licking the roads on Halkyn mountain, Flintshire, since the council began using a sugar base to help grit stick. Local resident Elfed Evans said the animals were refusing to move for traffic as they tucked in to the treat. Flintshire council said sheep were also attracted to salt grits, which are more corrosive than the new sugar variety. The new type of grit is made from sugar, starch and cereal. Resident Elfed Evans said he had spotted dozens of sheep licking the grit off the road during the recent cold snap. He added: "As soon as the gritter goes past they converge on the road licking off the grit. "The sheep seem to be addicted to the sweet salt and refuse to move when cars approach." Cost-effective A spokesman for Flintshire council said they were aware of the situation. He added: "The environmental advantages of using this product is that it is less corrosive to vehicles and the road infrastructure generally. "The current operational procedures used in Flintshire have identified that the use of this product is cost-effective, particularly when used in conjunction with our storage and spreading facilities. "We note the concerns in relation to the sheep on Halkyn Mountain and traffic, but it is known that they can also be attracted to the taste of the basic rock salt."
jeremy
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hahahaha.... now thats a sight to behold - flocks of stubborn sheep out licking the roads clean at risk of being run over :lol:

Nope, don't have that problem here... :P

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400