Xantia ABS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shaker

Xantia ABS

Post by shaker »

Hi guys

ABS light is permanently on so got out the old multimeter and tested across the pins, 3 sensors showing ok but front driver's side showing duff so replaced it. Checked new sensor with multimeter and now shows ok. However, light is still on so checked again with multimeter and passenger side rear is now showing duff. Is this just coincidence and bad luck? Could a faulty ECU have caused this when I powered up again? Don't want to be chasing my tail and end up replacing all the sensors for no reason. Where is the connector for the rear sensor, anyone know? The front one was bad enough trying to get my hand between the crossmember and the steering rack but I can't even see the rear connector so any help would be appreciated.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

The sensor is just a coil of wire, I highly doubt that the ECU would do anything to damage the sensor.

More likely a case of bad luck (second sensor was on the way out too, or was also intermitant, and just happened to measure good at the time you first measured it) or you pulled the wiring loom around a bit while replacing the first one.

You think the front connectors are hard to get at ? Wait until you try the rear ones :evil: They're situated above the front/rear running crossmembers of the rear suspension chassis - if you remove the spare wheel carrier and put your hand up over the chassis you'll feel it there.

Unfortunately they have a wire clip which is very hard to remove when you can't see it...and access to the left hand one is obscured by the muffler, so you'll have to drop the muffler down to get at it...

Good luck!

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
slim123

Post by slim123 »

What year is it??

On the early Xantia you could simply plug on a sensor then switch on the ignition and all would reset itself.

But on the later type, Citroen will tell you that it has to be put on the machine to reset.

In reality, on the later type you need to put the sensor on, then take it for a drive. Upon reaching between 15 - 20 mph it should reset itself and the light will go out. Providing of course that there are no other problems.

Regards
Slim
shaker

Post by shaker »

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

It's a very early 2.0iSX Xantia, first registered Jan 94. It's got the early type front sensors with the thinner spacer, although according to the vin number it should be the later type! That's citroens for you.

Haven't done anything more than start the beast up after replacing the front sensor, as you say slim it should have reset when the ignition was turned on. However, after starting up and waiting a few minutes the light was still on so I tested all the sensors at the pins again and got the passenger rear showing duff. As Mandrake says, probably just unlucky and I'll have to change that too. Not looking forward to trying to get at that connector though!

Thanks again for your help.
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

Don't know if this helps but I'm part way through sorting my ABS at the moment and had a sensor show duff at the multi plug but on testing at the sensor plug was ok! Put it back together and tested at multiplug again and was ok!!
Seems that the plugs at the sensor ends sometimes get bad connections so I'd try testing yours at the sensor plug first before you condemn it. It's dead hard to get to though at the rear I must say.
Simon.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)