Heater hoses identification and matrix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chrissib

Heater hoses identification and matrix

Post by chrissib »

I have no heat coming from my heater. Suspect heater matrix but the rubbish haynes manuals dont cover my car.

I know the heater matrix is difficult to get to and is expensive if done professionally. So I was hoping to try flushing the heater hoses. I think I have located these but one of them disappears under the engine somewhere. Can anyone show me a diagram or suggest a good way of doing this. The hoses, (if they are the right ones), are getting hot on both so I think there is a flow. Suspect cr*p in the matrix.

Any suggestions appreciated..
Regards
Chrissib
xantia HDI sx 2000 1999
Suffolk, England
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Chris -
Try a deeper inspection/test of the airflap controls. It might be a control cable not opening the heater flap - as there is no heater tap on the Xantia.

Both hoses to/fro the heater would NOT get hot if the matrix was blocked, and I dont believe a 6/7 year old car would be prone to such problems.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
nurkov
My Cars:

Post by nurkov »

I've changed matrix on mine and it was cheap to buy I think paid 35 for it in
http://www.eurocarparts.com/default.asp
but changing it is a whole different story took me 2 days to do it, but now when I've done it I think I could do it in one and I'm sure it was worth it.
Citroen Xantia Break 2.0T Exclusive 1999
Citroen Xsara 1.4i West Coast 1999
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Just occured to me this morning (probably cos it was blinkin freezing!)....presumably it has climate control - will it get hot if you put it to max heat (the red zone at the right)? If so, suspect the temperature sensor which is in the dash behind the little grille next to the clock. On Mk1 cars you could remove this quite easily - bit more difficult on Mk11 cars as you have to take the steering wheel etc off....
Richard W
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

My money is on the heater control flaps!! Cheap to check as well.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
chrissib

Post by chrissib »

thanks for the info, but can anyone tell me where the hoses or the control flaps are, and how I can check them. I assume the matrix change was by removing the complete dashboard to get to it.
Regards
Chrissib
xantia HDI sx 2000 1999
Suffolk, England
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

On the petrol models, the heater hoses go in through the firewall up high and are connected to a black plastic fitting with a stainless steel clip on ot; there's no hose clip, just this &*&*^%$ fitting which is permanently attached to the hoses.
If you break it, the cost of this hose in Australia is...........................

.................................................. WAIT FOR IT........................

...............................................A$765!! Yep you read right, Seven hundred and sixty five Pacific Pesos

The bleed valve (again on the petrol) is a black plastic screw that sits up high on the passengers side near the LHM tank and if water comes from that, I reckon that would just about put the blockage out of the equation. I am also inclined to go with the air flap theory which may(?) be accessible if the centre vents are removed.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

Unbelievable!!!!! Not sure what that is in GBP but surely it would be cheaper for someone over here to send one thro' the post!!!!!!!
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate