MOT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tanto
My Cars:

MOT

Post by tanto »

hi guys
well the car just failed its mot today
1 anti lock braking system warning lamp does not illuminate
2 nearside front suspension arm has excessive play in pin/bush

has anybody got any ideas as what could be wrong with the abs light and how to fix it

as for the suspension arm do i need to replace the whole arm or is there some kind of bush kit to repair and how easy is it to do

thanks
1996 xantia sx 2.0L 16v

if at first you don`t succeed get a bigger hammer
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

ABS - perhaps the bulb has failed or been removed - the normal problem is getting the things to go off. I don't know how long you have had the car or if the ABS has ever functioned properly. Check the bulb first - then if its on permanently - its probably a sensor - come back and we'll tell you how to find which one and even how you may be able to repair it for a minimal cost.

Basically you undo the nut at the back of the pin, pull it out, undo the outer ball joint pin. take the arm away and change the bushes. They should press out - which is fine if you have a good press - otherwise saw through the steel bits with a hacksaw ( inner and outer - use grease on the blade, releases tension and the press out quite easily if you're lucky) They are normal bushes with an outer steel sleeve. One has a mushroom on it - make sure its in the right place.

Now having said that the pivot bar may be difficult to get out.
jeremy
deian

Post by deian »

i agree about the bulb, dash out job i think... then replace, and see if it stays on and take it from there... sometimes the problem with the ABS is dirt blocking the sensors view, or bad wires going into the sensor, i think the likely culprit would be the front passenger side (rhd car)

about the bush, i'd say it's easier to get a new arm, not fun doing bushes, if they are even available to replace. not sure how easy it is to change the arm, but it's do able as long as u don't have any bad nuts that corrode of move in it's place (if u know what i mean)...

good luck
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi.. I've just done my o/s front arm.. ( 93 tdsx xant) No big deal removing the arm ; the front pivot bush you just remove the nut and slide out the bolt, while the rear pivot is held by two bolts - the rearmost of which also holds the anti-roll bar in place by means of a metal collar and rubber bush. Once these three bolts and the bottom balljoint nut is removed, (and the roll-bar tie rods disconnected both sides -which is the only stage which could cause problems for you) the arm can be wiggled free while holding the anti-roll bar up as high as it will go. As far as replacement bushes are concerned, you can either fit them yourself if you fancy a challenge, or have them pressed in for you. ( another option is to source an arm from the scrappy, fit new bushes, and then its a straight swap and you're back on the road ! -gsf and eurocp do the bushes or iirc a new arm is around £80 or so.

Sorry, but I'm no help with the abs light, and I suspect that this could be the dealbreaker with your car.. -checkout your local Citroen independant and see what he says.. -you never know, the warning lamp wire could be disconnected from the abs ecu, and be an easy fix!

Best Wishes anyway, Martin
I won't do that again
slim123

Post by slim123 »

I suspect that someone in the past has removed the ABS bulb to fool an mot tester, if the light dont come on then he wont fail because it stays on!! this is a trick that sometimes works as the mot guy dont look any further than the light.

Probabally not a fuse removed, as by memory the only fuse to put the bulb out will also put out quite a few more.

Look in the common fixes section and you will find the pin outs to check the sensors.

I agree that fitting an arm complete is much easier than replacing bushes in the old one, all that swearing and cleaning is got to be worth a few quid.

I think that Pleiades do the arm complete ready to fit with both bushes fitted for about £50.00 or so, worth a check.

Regards
Slim
tanto
My Cars:

Post by tanto »

hi guys
yea the bulb was removed put it back in and it stays on just need to find out what fault is keeping it on now :?

gonna have a look around see what if any deals i can get for a suspension arm
1996 xantia sx 2.0L 16v

if at first you don`t succeed get a bigger hammer
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

tanto wrote:hi guys
yea the bulb was removed put it back in and it stays on just need to find out what fault is keeping it on now :?

gonna have a look around see what if any deals i can get for a suspension arm
Take your time to pin down the ABS problem before getting a suspension arm. That may save you another trip to the same place :wink:
But I'm pretty sure its either one or both of the front wheel sensor/cables.

use the forum search facility on Xantia ABS problems - you should get loads of information.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image