Mark II Xantia Fog Light replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

easterroad

Mark II Xantia Fog Light replacement

Post by easterroad »

Hello All,

I need to replace my N/S fog lamp on my Mark II Xantia ( X reg HDI ) - the lens has been smashed to smithereens by a stone. In Haynes it mentions prising off a bit of trim and then using a screwdriver to lever the unit out... this I guess refers to the Mark I arrangement as my foglight has no surrounding trim and is quite different to the illustrations.

So my question is how do I get at the unit ( i have sourced a cheap replacement )? Is it a bumper off job or can I get there after removing a headlamp....?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

I have no experience, but have you tried reaching into the inside of the bumper from the back?
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
slim123

Post by slim123 »

From memory, the way you have described is for the MK 1 only, the MK 2 as you have found out, dont have the removable trim.

It is supposed to be a bumper off job, this in itself is not to difficult, but I seem to remember replacing one a few years back without removing the bumper, there is a bit of swearing involved and nimble fingers. Again as I remember the bumper off option was easier.

Regards
Slim.
nurkov
My Cars:

Post by nurkov »

You don't have to remove the bumber but it's a lot easier without it.
Citroen Xantia Break 2.0T Exclusive 1999
Citroen Xsara 1.4i West Coast 1999
easterroad

Post by easterroad »

Thanks for the replies.
Fair enough it is as I expected, no shortcuts :wink: , so I will take the bumper off this weekend.
lawns
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Xantia 11 2.0 HDI. 110
C3 1.4 HDI DV4C A51
Peugeot 3008 2.0 HDI 150

Post by lawns »

I think I saw a post that said you can get to it by removing the headlight. Have you done a search on the forum?
Regards,
lawns
easterroad

Post by easterroad »

OK, I gave this a go a the weekend.

First of all I attempted the headlamp off method, this proved to give access to two of the attaching bolts but not the third ( maybe this doesn ot work on a Mark II version ), so I then tried to take the bumper off which would definitely give me the access required. All seemed to be going well until trying to access the two bolts which attach the bumper to the car roughly either side of the numberplate, it appears that you have to remove a layer of trim from the front of the bumper which I could find no way of doing.

Has anyone done this?
If so how is it done?

Any tips appreciated!
2000 Xantia HDI LX