Xantia- water under rear seat

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

SimonT
My Cars:

Xantia- water under rear seat

Post by SimonT »

Hi, anybody had any experiences where water was collecting under the single rear seat well. Can't see where it's coming in from but it's like a mini swimming pool under there!
Any pointers would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Simon.
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its a common problem - you should find other experiences on here.

I think the answer is that the plastic membrane in the door (plastic sheet - nothing more complicated!) needs sticking back on with seam sealer - or a substitute.
jeremy
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Are we talking rear door asd in tailgate or as in side door?

I'm managing to fond water coming in on a few estates AND saloons
so would like to nail it down myself! :x

MIND, WE'VE HAD SOME RAIN... :evil:

Andrew
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

If its an estate,then most defo the tailgate membrain.I had this a few times till i fixed it for good.Water will come in around the rear wiper seal,& drain out at the bottom of the tailgate.But if the membrain inside the tailgate loses its seal,then the water will go straight in the boot under the carpet,& run along the load bay floor channels & under the rear seats.
If it is an estate,& it is the membrain,i did a post on here a year or 2 ago about the best way to cure it & what sealer to re seal it with. :)
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
jsgarth
My Cars:

Post by jsgarth »

I had this problem with my Xantia a few weeks ago. My mechanic told me that it is very common and caused by the drain from the sun roof being blocked.He recommended, that I push a length of wire (I used a thin knitting needle) up the drain. It is easy to find under the nearside rear wheel arch, a small plastic pipe protrudes from the top above the wheel. You can feel it, I could also feel the mud caked around it!! A few prods with the needle and I got a cup full of cold water up my sleeve. I could then pour a pint of water into the rear of the open sun roof and watch it pour from the drain. Atrotious weather has followed without a drop of water finding it's way under the seat!! I hope that you can be as lucky. If it is the off side it does not look as simple to get at it from under the car, but I was told thast I could push a thin piece of wire from the drain at the rear of the open sun roof. Thankfully it has not been necessary.
Good Luck!!
JSG
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I'll give that a go thanks - hadn't though of actually looking for the rear
drain pipe and had conveniently forgotten a similar fix on my Xm!! :oops:

Sadly, I seem to forget more things than I know!! Must be getting old...

Andrew
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

andmcit wrote:... Sadly, I seem to forget more things than I know!! Must be getting old...

Andrew
hate to tell you , but its a sure sign - I know :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
SimonT
My Cars:

Post by SimonT »

jsgarth wrote:I had this problem with my Xantia a few weeks ago. My mechanic told me that it is very common and caused by the drain from the sun roof being blocked.He recommended, that I push a length of wire (I used a thin knitting needle) up the drain. It is easy to find under the nearside rear wheel arch, a small plastic pipe protrudes from the top above the wheel. You can feel it, I could also feel the mud caked around it!! A few prods with the needle and I got a cup full of cold water up my sleeve. I could then pour a pint of water into the rear of the open sun roof and watch it pour from the drain. Atrotious weather has followed without a drop of water finding it's way under the seat!! I hope that you can be as lucky. If it is the off side it does not look as simple to get at it from under the car, but I was told thast I could push a thin piece of wire from the drain at the rear of the open sun roof. Thankfully it has not been necessary.
Good Luck!!
Ok thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow (weather permitting!)
It is the nearside back seat so hopefully will be that side drain too. Cheers.
I love this forum!
Saxo 1.5 XD 1998
(previously owned Xantia 1.9 TD sx 1995)
nipper123

Post by nipper123 »

hi all, first time post for me and can i say what a brill forum.
i have the same problem but mine is hatchback with no sunroof any ideas PLEASE!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi nipper - welcome on board -

Your problem is wellknown - try a play with the search function. You should get several earlier postings as result. Note that you need at least 3 characters as search criteria.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

What's the possibility that it's getting into the heater past the scuttle panel then running into the back footwell?

Steve.
not applicable
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

steelcityuk wrote:What's the possibility that it's getting into the heater past the scuttle panel then running into the back footwell?

Steve.
Yes, very, very possibly and the foam under the carpet will allow it to creep up to the seat well. Had it happen.

Also, another place it can get in is through the rearlight clusters. All the tailgate water runs down over the tops of the clusters and if the gaskets are not perfect, water will run in the boot and then into the rear seat trays. I cleaned the gaskets and smeared them with silicone grease. Seems OK now.

next time you lift the tailgate on a wet day, just see how much water runs down over the lights!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...