Ventilation problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi,
The motor is working fine, no cogs broken, and even if they were broken there would still be some form of air getting into the cabin..... which there isn't...
I am now getting to the point of giving the inner dash a good thumping with a lump hammer and getting rid of the car
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Don’t throw it away yet, the one that will pick it up won’t be a rocket scientist. :twisted:

It’s not something like the air intake under the bonnet that’s full of leaves … possibly interfering with the flaps ?
You would expect the recirculation to still work, but recirculation is only partial, and also relies on free-moving flaps.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Okay guys, one part sorted......
I have checked everything again and all seemed ok. I then reversed the polarity of the motor and air came out of the vents!!!!
I got the old motor and new one and found that the fan 'blades' were reversed!!!!, I then removed the fans from the motors and swapped them round. Low and behold air is now blowing out of the vents Wooppee....
But
No warm air is coming out now. That means that either I have mis aligned the motor that moves the temp flap (got climate control) or the heater matrix is blocked!! Although warm air was coming out before the blasted fan went.......

Paul
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

wrinklet1 wrote:No warm air is coming out now. That means that either I have mis aligned the motor that moves the temp flap (got climate control) or the heater matrix is blocked!! Although warm air was coming out before the blasted fan went.......
Easy to check the matrix Paul, just feel the hoses going in/out of it under the bonnet. It'll be worth giving the cooling system a good bleed. On the 1.9TD the matrix is likely to be the first thing to air-lock if there is air in the system.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

And the matrix’s vent cap is on the driver’s side outlet, looking like a tyre valve cap.
Loosening it by one turn is more than enough to see what’s happening, as it’s badly placed if it falls out.

Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Well, The heater matrix isnt the problem.
I have removed the little stepper motor thing that regulates the heat and I turned the fan on high. I then heard a flap move inside the vent conduit. Any ideas? And the stepper motor has a metel cog and moves ok
Paul
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Ventilation problem

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Took radio out of car to look at why no air to floor or screen. As xantia-V6 said, it was the no contact of gears on the flap. Also wrong was excessive free play on cable at lever end, so when pulled to one end, the inner cable just bowed out and caught behind a lug.
Happened 3 times, annoying when you have just finished putting it all back, then it catches again, left half of my skin on left hand there too. :( .
Designers should be shagged with the blunt end of pineapple, for continuing to come up with all these lousy ideas. Why has the matrix got to be buried right at back of heater box---why the need for so big a box anyway?. I believe that the BX matrix could be taken out quite easily---just two hose clips and a securing screw---which is ALL it needs to work well, and be secure---unlike Xantia where the dash has to be taken out. The clutch clip, springs in brake pedal, etc.
Left radio out of car, just in case cable pops again---would rather have demisting and warmth than being cold and blind, but with a tune or two, :evil: .
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Ventilation problem

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi All,
Thanks to xantia_v6, I have heat to footwell and screen, or as much heat as a 19Td will ever make. :D . I meant to stick a small plastic disc onto a bit of sponge and then stick that under the white cog, to stop it dropping down again, but will do that if it happens again.
Thanks again for your help,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS