Xantia Clutch Cable/Pedal Clip Again!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Evodad
My Cars:

Xantia Clutch Cable/Pedal Clip Again!

Post by Evodad »

Who thinks cars are just a collection of metal & plastic inanimate objects bolted together? Not me, not now!

Driving home from work yesterday, happily thinking I've got the rest of the week off & not much to do, the dreaded clip broke again (the last time was about 50k miles ago).
Now I've got something to do!

The first time, I managed to replace it without sawing through the pedal pivot bolt or taking the pedal off.
I fitted the light coloured plastic bit to the pedal, then pushed the cable (with nipple) into it & then managed to fit the black metal clip to secure the cable.

What's the concencus?
To do it this way, or to fit the metal clip first & then push the cable into the plastic piece & through the metal spring clip.

I've ordered the clip assembly & replacement bolt (as a contingency) & will do the job tomorrow.

I know alot has been said about this in the past, bit I don't think a conclusion has been reached as to the best way.

Thanks,
Roy.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If you've done it once without taking the pedal out, you should be able to do it again! Malcom (citronut) and Slim have managed to get the pedal out (on several cars) without cutting the bolt by twisting it or lifting the brake pedal. I've only done the one 3 years ago, but the clutch in my current one occasionally makes a click near the bottom, so I am just wating for the TWANG.... mind you the clutch might go before that. Or I might buy a C5 :twisted:
Richard W
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

Thanks for the post Richard.

I've just finished!
Took the seat out, sawn the head off the bolt, replaced clip, new bolt, job done.

I have to admit, it's better to remove the clutch pedal than do the keyhole surgery method.

Cheers,
Roy.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no need to cut chop or butcher whilst doing this job,as all you realy need is a lot of percywhatsit,and once the bolt is out fit it back the opposite way with the nut at the brake pedel end,also when fitting the cable just have the spring steel clip balanced half way onto its nylon block,now push the cable all the way home from the gear box end then with a long screw driver push the clip into place
regards malcolm
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

As I've mentioned here before, I'm convinced that some are much easier than others.
Whether it's the extra footwell width of the later models, as was suggested, or some other small design change, I'm not sure, but they do vary from car to car - on some the bolt comes out quite easily, on others there just isn't enough clearance no matter what you do!
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

There was no way I could have got the bolt out without sawing the head off, even with the plastic pusher removed from behind the brake pedal.

Only an M7 (I've come across this weid size before) bolt, new hacksaw blade, cutting on the back stroke to save bend blades, didn't take long to get the head off.
I'm glad I got the new bolt. I was thinking it would be M6 or M8 & I've got a few of those at variuos lengths but I don't have any M7s.

New clip & bolt, £8.50 from the local Citroen Stealer. The bolt was 49p inc. VAT.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Citroen do so love M7! They use this a lot.

For 49pence worth of bolt, if you find it easier to chop then why not.

But to fail after 50'000 You could be heading for a new clutch soon! Is it heavy on the pedal?

If not I guess that you must do a lot of town driving.

Regards
Slim.
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

I think the reason it failed again so soon was down to me, first time round.

Doing the job first time without removing the pedal, I removed the metal clip, managed to fit the plastic bit to the pedal, then pushed the cable in & with a pair of super long nosed pliers, located the metal clip.

I made a fundamental error. I put the clip on the wrong way round. I had the "stop" butting against the round cable side, not sitting snugly against the rectangular, pedal side.
It failed by one of the cable retaining legs breaking.

I know better now (I think!).
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well i have done quite a few of these now,and i have never bent,choped or cut any thing as yet,mind you its come close on some as they certainly look like there is absolutly no way they are going to come out,then i break for lunch and come back to it and it just falls out
regards malcolm