My Xantia dumped all it LHM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

My Xantia dumped all it LHM

Post by xantia_v6 »

My Xantia V6 has just dumped all of its LHM on the road. There was a surprising jolt as I pulled away from a roundabout. It drained the tank in about a mile. It looks like the leak is in the vicinity of the front electrovalve.

Fortunately the suspension stayed up, so the RAC could tow it back home.

I think thjat I have read of similar problems due to a seal failing on the electovalve, but can't find the posting.

Can someone tell me which seal I need?
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

When mine dumped its LHM it was from a blanking plug in one of the castings had come loose. It was under the brake ECU.

Worth a check.

Cheers

Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that is more than likly the anti sink valve plug,i have seen and fixed one,my local citroen dealer said you cant get the O ring on its own,but if i remember corectly one of the seals for the pump plugs fit,i belive there are two sizes of plugs in the pump
regards malcolm
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I am sure the leak is near the electrovalve (just behind the radiator and below the air filter), but I have not been able to get back to it to check that it is the valve itself, the sphere seal or a nearby pipe.

If the leak is from the centre sphere seal, can the suspension stay up?
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 18 Jan 2007, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

If the leak is from the electrovalve/firmness regulator, then first check to see that it's not simply the return pipe, these pipes are too short and tend to crack on the bend, Check it!!

If not it will probabaly be the "O" ring has poped out between the ally casting of the electro valve and the body of the firmness regulator, upon removal you will find that the hex on the electro valve has rotted away letting the "O" ring pop out.

To fix you will need a new electro valve, you can remove these in situ, but they are bloody tight.

Regards
Slim
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

slim123 wrote:If the leak is from the electrovalve/firmness regulator, then first check to see that it's not simply the return pipe, these pipes are too short and tend to crack on the bend, Check it!! Slim
The problem was the return hose from the electrovalve which had broken off where it merges to the return hose from the regulator. The LHM disappeared so quickly, because it was most of the contents of the return from the regulator which was being lost.