Odd Xantia hydrraulic pump problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

samtronic
My Cars:

Odd Xantia hydrraulic pump problem

Post by samtronic »

After driving around with a car that have problems rising when left for a couple of days (it helps a lot if the steering is at lock), I finally gave in and bought a reconditioned pump.

No big hassle changing the pump (it is an non-antisink Xantia 1.8i w/AC), but when I got home, I noticed that the aux belt was squealing and 1 groove off on the pump. How odd! I am sure I put it on correctly.

Back on the lift the next day, loosen aux belt, place aux belt correctly, tighten aux belt, check that the belt sits correctly all over. Check!

Start motor, watch belt sitting 1 groove off and squealing. Odd!

On closer inspection I can see that the pulley on the pump is asymmetrical and it is the wrong way round on the new pump thus moving its center 3mm - bummer.

Oh, well. Back in with the old pump.

At least I'll be good at changing the pump after this.

Acouple of pictures:
The pump from the side
The end of the pulley

Søren[/url]
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

Someones quality controller needs a good shoeing :)
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

There are many different versions of the pump (around 12 from memory, counting both the single and two output ones!) with subtle differences for different engines, air-con and not air-con etc - and the main differences are the pulley...are you sure you didn't just get given the wrong one ? It sure looks that way from the end view picture...

If you search you'll find AndersDK has posted a part number list of all the pump variations on at least one occasion...(from Citroen pr.net I'm assuming)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Did the hydraulics improve with the new pump fitted? You can dismantle the
pump and swap the pulley - I've got pictures of a dismantled pump on here somewhere!

Found them!!

Andrew
samtronic
My Cars:

Post by samtronic »

I didn't really leave the new pump in long enough to be sure, but I think it was better.
I am pretty sure the old one had an air leak - there was almost always small bubbles in the LHM return filter (and often in the rest of the tank - I am pretty sure that is why the tank often had LHM on top of it). And the hose from the tank to the pump has been checked.
I didn't see many bubbles with the new pump.

I have thought of dismantling the (old) pump, but having bought a 'new' for DKK2500 and leaving a deposit of DKK1500, I am hesitant to meddle with any of them.
If the old one has a leak and the three bolts are tight, I think it could only be from the shaft seal, which, as far as I can tell from the picture, I would have to move (along with the shaft) to the new pump if I swapped the pulley.

I don't know if I have been given a wrong type, but the only difference between the old and the 'new' is the orientation of the pulley.

Søren
'93 Xantia 1.8i 8V
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

my pump spits two teeth off regardless of how many times i put it on (eventually it cuts the two spare teeth off all on its own!), and in my case the problem is the sprung tentioner is twisted, so while it tracks fine round evertyhing else including the pump, the tensioner shifts it just a little tiny bit. It could be that the old pump had play in the shaft, making the shaft seal feel hence getting the air in, and that the cause of this play is a mixture of over tightening and another component being out of line such as the auto tensioner as the top or the adjustable tensioner at the bottom!

Might be best to take the pump back and try another one first though!