Xsara HDi running temp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nick
My Cars:

Xsara HDi running temp

Post by nick »

Hi,

Just a quick question for anyone with a Xsara HDi. What temp does the gauge show when the engine is fully warmed up?

I know these often aren't all that accurate, I just want a rough idea. Mine seems to stay around the 73-75 deg C mark, which seems a bit too cold to me?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

It should be about teh same as the normal XUD engines so should be in about the middle of the guage. Our 2.1 always sits at about 80 on a run which is about right and my old 1.9td was about teh same, maybe a smidge under but not much.

Id replace the thermostat tbh if its easy enough :)
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Mine's between 75 and 80 C which is about the same as my old 405TD, however the warm up time is longer on the HDi.

Steve.
not applicable
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

HDi may be a bit different to XUD in its warming habits as its head is rather different. The XUD is an indirect injection engine and combustion is initiated in a pre-chamber and then spreads into the cylinder. This means that there is a largeish combustion chamber nearly fully enclosed in the head - which will dump a considerable amount of heat into the head and then the coolant.

The HDi is a direct injection engine which means that the combustion takes place directly in the cylinder - so no pre-combustion chamber to absorb and dump heat.

This is the reason some of the Xantias have an auxilliary lorry or camper type diesel fuelled cabin heater which simply burns diesel for the benefit of the passenger's comfort.
jeremy
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

The HDI engine has much better thermal efficiency - ie more energy from the fuel is converted into turning the crankshaft rather than heating the coolant than is the case with the indirect injected engine (Hence the better economy / performance). As Jeremy says though, this leaves less heat to run the heater etc. hence the slower warm up. Mine runs at a similar indicated temperature to yours once it has eventually warmed up. maybe 5 degc more but as you say these gauges aren't too accurate...

Ron
2007 C6 2,7 HDI exclusive 95k
2004 C5 VTR HDI 103k
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Agree, HDi engined Xsara takes an age to warm up compared with other Cits we had. Was convinced the thermostat was stuck open - but its not. Once warm shows 70 -75 deg but I don't consider gauges to be accurate just an indicator of whats happening. If its steady I'm happy regardless of the relative reading. If its moving once the car is warm (especially up) I worry.

Regards

Rory
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I'm glad I read this thread, I thought there was something wrong with mine.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Which Xantias had this pre-warmer in them as its the first ive heard of it??

Heard of it on Toyota Landcruiser Amazons and some Landies and all but not in such a run of the mill car as the xantia...
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Thanks for the replies, sounds as if mine's normal then.
I'm investigating causes for the fuel consumption being higher than expected (no better than the Xantia 1.9TD I had before) & thought temperature could be a posibility.
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

I find my Xantia no more efficient than my old 405 TD. So come the summer I intend to clean out the intercooler, inlet manifold and blank off the EGR valve. Oh and a new cambelt, tensioner, etc, etc.

Steve.
not applicable
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

So far I've changed the air filter, and disconnected the egr. I haven't actually blanked the egr valve off so far, just disconnected the vacuum pipe. The metal pipe to the manifold stays cold so I assume the valve is staying shut ok.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Maybe the injectors are gumming up a bit??
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Could be, I tried some injector cleaner a few months back but didn't seem to make any difference. Despite the not brilliant consumption it doesn't smoke much though, the MOT smoke emissions test printout in November was 0.31, the limit is 3.0!
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

I've worked my way through a full bottle of Millers with no difference.

Steve.
not applicable
steelcityuk

Post by steelcityuk »

The car that is! :lol:
not applicable