ZX coolant smells

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

srx600

ZX coolant smells

Post by srx600 »

After changing the anti-freeze and thermostat on my ZX I have been able to smell coolant. This only occurs after about 5 minutes into the journey then clears up. I initially tought it was coolant evaporating from the thermostat housing which was leaking. But its persisted after fixing the leak (had to buy a genuine Citroen thermostat in the end)
I'm guessing its the heater matrix leaking, then sealing when it heats up, and that they are a pig to change. I'm tempted to drop some "Bar's leaks" and see what happens. Any thoughts on the use of 'Bars'
My Cars:

Post by 8304 »

stick some rad weld in but make sure its quality stuff like bars or wynnes. ive used it a number of times and its worked and hasnt caused any other issues such as blockages elsewhere....

has the rad got the correct amount of water in it?? if its over full it might be pushing some out of the overflow as it warms up and pressurises......
Zxtd Aura converted from 1.8i Petrol - Lowered, 20psi boost extra fuel - weeeeeee!

MK2 Cortina 1600e

Honda Acty Romahome - 545cc!! - (the "beast")
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I once used some Fortes rad sealer to very good effect in the g/f ZX Aura. It lasted untill I finally bought a new rad for it and Stewart (oily) changed them over for me. :D Cheers Stewart.. :D

Shame the g/f swopped the ZX Aura for a Mazda 1600i 323f exec auto the following week!!!! :roll:

That's the only type sealer I can recommend as its the only one I have used recently, and the only one my local pet mechanic recommends.. :)
James. (Nr M67 East of Manchester).
Dark Blue ZX 1.9D Auto 1994 'L' 5 dr (modified) Aura. 98K miles used daily. Ave mpg 40
Wedgewood Blue 75 CTD auto Connoissaur. 2002. 144k. used daily. ave mpg 40 ish.
Gammy leg
My Cars:

Post by Gammy leg »

I've used quite a few products over the years and most, if not all, have been successful. On a couple of occasions I've had to 'double-dose' to completely cure the situation ( never tried the raw egg method yet though).
Last time was a couple of years ago and I used Tesco's own brand at 79p - worked a treat

Gammy
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Bar's works really well. I have used it 2 times to fix the heater matrix and no problem after that.
Oscar Lopez
'94 ZX 2.0 8v petrol (restoration to its former glory on its way after being neglected by stupid Ex)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Raw egg Gammy? You must be nearly as old as me.