Dodgy Deadlocks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Dodgy Deadlocks

Post by stevenlizuk »

Hello All,

Looking for some hints before I strip all four doors looking for a fault that might be elsewhere.

When I try to engage the deadlocks either with the plip or the key the locks pop open again as though there was a door open.

When locking the car and arming the alarm the doors unlock but the alarm stays armed, I lock the doors again with the front "lock only" button on the remote and I'm locked up with the alarm armed but no deadlocks.

Where are the switches in the door to tell the car the door is open?
Although if it was just this then the doors surely wouldn't lock at all?

Any help is as always appreciated.

Cheers

Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds to me like a faulty lock motor switch. I had this on my BX - where I'd lock the door and the thing would imediately unlock itself - and it seemed that the passenger door was behaving strangely.

I found Maplins generic motor (less than £10) fitted in using the original bolt holes and the linkage without modification. I did have to adapt the wiring as it didn't have the plug.

Motors come in 2 types - 5 wire for switched doors (ie with key locks) and 2 wires for those without. Maplins ones should come with a length of strong wire for making a link to the existing mechanism if necessary.
jeremy
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The door ajar switches are either clipped on to the bottom of the lock ( & fall off again ) inside the door on early PSA stuff & about £3 to replace.

Or on the later stuff they are part of the electronic door lock & you have to replace the lot.

If you get hold of the alarm wiring info you can test which door switch is causing the issue with a multimeter by probing the alarm ECU pins & see which one is shorted to earth & thinking the door is open when it isnt.

Also check for stiff operation of the locking motors & linkages because that can cause the same fault.

I would check the door switches first because thats easier to do.
dan_the_v8man
My Cars:

Post by dan_the_v8man »

i had a similar problem with my xantia. it opened when i tried to lock it. turned out it was the drivers door. the motor unit that all the operating rods connect to has a set of contacts inside. got that out, sprayed it with contact cleaner inside, a few days later the problem dissapeared, two weeks later and it hasnt reared its head again, so far...

on the xantia its a complete unit with the door latch intergrated into it. just a case of removing the door trim
Dec 94 Xantia LX 1.9 TD 116k - My first car :D
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Thanks All,

I'll try the drivers door first as I've had the trim off of it already replacing a mirror that fell off during the night.

Lots of exploding plastic clips to look forward to.

Cheers

Steve
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

To isolate which lock is faulty, lock each door manually, with the key or from inside. If you find that when locked from one door, all the other doors lock and stay locked, then that is the door with the faulty actuator.

Note that there are two different makes of lock fitted to the Mk 1 Xantia (Bendix and Valeo I think), but they are interchangable, and I suspect that only one make gives trouble (but I would have to rummage for my faulty lock to tell you which one).
dan_the_v8man
My Cars:

Post by dan_the_v8man »

could you please do that, as im going to replace mine so when i do it i'll make sure i get the other make

much apreciated

Dan
Dec 94 Xantia LX 1.9 TD 116k - My first car :D
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I found the old (faulty) lock. It is Rockwell brand (fitted to a mid-97 car). I am fairly sure that the replacement was Bendix, it probably came off an earlier car.