Strange 'scraping' noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

Strange 'scraping' noise

Post by tonyb1 »

Over the last week my beloved Xantia has started making what I can only describe as a scraping noise when I brake, sometimes the noise continues when I move off and then disappears. My brakes are fairly new (3 months old). I had two new front tyres fitted 3 weeks a go. I dont know if this noise could be caused by sticking brakes or something, but the car is running fine. Any ideas before I put it in for a check would be appreciated. Thanks. Tony
Xantia 1.9 TD LX 1994 - 152,000 miles and running, strange vibrations
deian

Post by deian »

maybe a small stone stuck somewhere, maybe on the back brakes rather than the front?
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

That's a thought, thanks Deian, I'll have a look in the morning. Been all over my front brakes but havent looked at the back, didn't think they would come in to it!
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Scraping brake sounds usually emanate from the back as there are no sensor wires. The first you know is the scraping sound which is usually metal on metal.

Happened to my XM a couple of years ago. Fortunately I had a set of pads here as someone had given me a set of CX rears which are the same for an XM. I changed them one morning before going to work. Each side took about 25 mins. Read your Haynes BOFT first.

Otherwise I would suggest blasting built up brake dust out of the front brakes with a garden hose or pressure wash. Although front brake dust build up is usually squeally not scrapy. Very technical eh?
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Maybe the rear calipers are being pushed over by corrosion buildup between the arm and the caliper.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you visualy checked the front brakes,just because they were done about 3 months ago dose not mean they are not worn out again already,if the cable/s or the caliper is are sticking it will wear them out very quicke,the usual with citroens with hand brake at the front is binding cables as the crack were the cable is constanly flexed as you turn the steering,so they get water and grit in the cable
regards malcolm
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

UFO wrote:Scraping brake sounds usually emanate from the back as there are no sensor wires. The first you know is the scraping sound which is usually metal on metal. Happened to my XM a couple of years ago. Fortunately I had a set of pads here as someone had given me a set of CX rears which are the same for an XM. I changed them one morning before going to work. Each side took about 25 mins.
You are spot on UFO. The rears are down to the metal. Because it sounded like the front when driving, and I thought the rears would last longer than the car, I didn't look there :oops: I'll be doing them tomorrow, thanks again!
UFO
My Cars:

Post by UFO »

Glad to be of service. \:D/

Gee, we win the cricket (like I care?) AND we analyse Citroen problems. Not a bad mob eh? :roll:
Craig Keller
Gerringong
Australia

"A little dab of LHM goes a long way!"
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi there.. isn't it good when there is a simple fix ? BTW.. Citroen sell a kit for the rear brakes on a xant consisting of the nuts and bolts, the cover plates and springs (for both sides) this only costs a few pounds and makes a good job an easier one ! And as johnd says its worth checking for corrosion build up between the caliper and arm while you're at it. Bets wishes, Martin
I won't do that again
deian

Post by deian »

yay! problem solved! what surprised me was how small the back brakes were!
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

and remember the calipers are ambidextrous, if the corrosion is too bad just swap them side to side so the corrosion is to the outside . sounds too simple but the bleed hole and the pipe hole are drilled the same and citroen dont have to stock left and right calipers, regards john.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

deian wrote:yay! problem solved! what surprised me was how small the back brakes were!
thats because the fronts do most of the hrd work
regards malcolm