bx heater air panel removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davidc
(Donor 2021)
My Cars:

bx heater air panel removal

Post by davidc »

Hi all
I am trying to remove the centre heater/air fascia panel of my 91' tzi to replace the air con temp rheostat. I have removed the round dials the torx screws found underneath, the vents but I cant find any clip or extra screws to pop it off. I am tempted to use a large lever... but I know that will end in tears. What is holding it in?
TIA
David
2007 C5 hdi Wagon
74 D Special
2009 Mercedes Benz ML 320 cdi
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

David,

This may answer your question in a round about way.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9161

Last year we fitted this control to a friends BX but instead of taking the long route as you are doing, we simply traced the wires under the dash, connected a couple of long pigtails to them, removed the top of the airbox under the air scuttle at the front, found a small hole in the firewall, pushed the pigtails through, soldered the variable resistor to the pigtails, then ran it into the airbox and then pushed the end of the resistor between a couple of the fins in the evaporator coil and folded them over to hold it there.
The result was that the air/con has never worked so well and the thing most commented on is that the control is now so sensitive that users feel like they can control the internal temp almost to the degree.
The entire job took about 20 minutes, so if you can figure it out, it should save you a heap of time and money.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
davidc
(Donor 2021)
My Cars:

re panel

Post by davidc »

Alan
As usual you have the goods, did you use an new slider or device to vary the temp? In this case the little circuit board on the temp control has come adrift from the slide so just want to reunite the parts...if not broken
2007 C5 hdi Wagon
74 D Special
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

If you look into the holes left by the vents you will see some black steel clips at either side, lever them with a flat blade whilst gently pulling and (provided you have removed the screws too) it should pop out.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as Stewart said with the vents removed you will find a slot in the outer side wall of the vent apatures,there is a spring steel clip in each of these,put the end of a flat bladed screw driver between the blade edge and the slot in the vent apature prize the clips one side at a time inwards whilst with the other hand pull that end of the facesure towards you,then do the same at the other side but dont let the first one snap back into place
regards malcolm
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Re: re panel

Post by alan s »

davidc wrote:Alan
As usual you have the goods, did you use an new slider or device to vary the temp? In this case the little circuit board on the temp control has come adrift from the slide so just want to reunite the parts...if not broken
I have an Estate that the slide has simply fallen out of the sliding knob. I found that out here it was caused by 40+ days and the wagon being left in the sun, as a result everything plastic turns to jelly. I pulled it back towards me and used a small "sewing machine" sized screwdriver to hold it whilst I gently pushed the sliding knob back over the protruding arm which is where it sits. It has come out a couple of times now, but I'm such a dab hand at putting it back in place, I can now do it as I drive.
It almost gives the impression that the lug is too short or the sliding knob section that holds it is too short in the legs, but I have a suspicion that it just might be that something has slightly warped due to the heat. In answer to your question; no on the car we fitted the new thermister/variable to, we used the existing slider.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
davidc
(Donor 2021)
My Cars:

Post by davidc »

As usual every response is on the money and greatly appreciated
cheers
dc :D
2007 C5 hdi Wagon
74 D Special