Xantia facelift tacho

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rbruce1314
My Cars:

Xantia facelift tacho

Post by rbruce1314 »

The other morning when I went to start the vehicle the tacho needle flicked hard round to over 6000 (i.e. well above max revs, it being a 2.1TD) and stuck there wedged against bottom of dial. Hasn't moved since, despite tapping etc. No prior warning, so is it likely to be the instrument itself? I've changed the sensor lead on a previous car but that had the usual symptoms of being erratic/ stop-start for a while first. If it is the instrument has anyone found a way of getting into the instrument panel without the pain of removing steering wheel etc.??
xantia 2.1TD estate-chipped! (what a goer)
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I posted recently on this exact same condition.. it occured after I left the lights on and completely drained the battery.. I left it for about a week and was about to start diagnostic when the needle returned to normal.. I posted to find out if anyone could explain what had happened but got no replies so assumed it was a 'one off' (obviously not)
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

This is a known issue... if your car has a flat battery and you jump start it with the ign on for example. Perhaps even taking off a duff battery and fitting a new one?? I've never been lucky enough for the problem to right itself though.

David
DerekH
My Cars:

Post by DerekH »

I to have had the tacho needle swinging wildly while trying to start with a low battery but happily it didn't stick. The moral must be don't keep trying but put a charger on for a few minutes.

On jump starting it appears that the negative croc clip should be connected to a body earth point and NOT the battery negative.

Honest John states that the dash has to be taken out and inverted to correct the needlei problem!

Derek
Ex Kered
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Check this post,its for a peugeot 406 but it should work just the same.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... le+battery
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

Thanks for that link: worth a try, but I'm always a BIT worried about spiking anything with electronics.
xantia 2.1TD estate-chipped! (what a goer)