Heating Oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Suppose I'm a smallholder and I have a diesel Land Rover - which I use on white fuel whaen I use it on the road - but when I decide to use it to pull machinery, drive my generator and all the other things they are supposed to be able to do off the road I'm quite entitled to use pink rebated fuel.

So the question is - do I have to have a separate tank - I don't think so.

Do I have to flush it? - I don't think so.

I think all I have to do is run the red out before I use it on the road.

Of course it would be much easier to explain traces and prove legitimate use if you have a small holding or something - not just an urban parking space!
jeremy
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Howdy folks. Hope you all had a really good Christmas :)

Turns out that our boiler isn't defunct after all - just needed some work doing on it by a real professional (i.e. not the Muppet our insurance company sent around) :D

LPG is, as you've said, more expensive than oil but as I have a guzzler of a V8 Discovery which runs on the stuff I was looking to off-set some of the difference that way. Doing the calculations more accurately - as opposed to in my head - showed that I would have to seriously increase my mileage to make any savings. As I bought the Xantia to reduce the Discovery's mileage that's not really an option. Still the money saved on the change-over at home will fund about a years worth of motoring in Big Blue :P
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

You mean there is no commercial selling of RME at petrol stations in the UK?

Over here in Sweden and on the continent (especially Germany) it's available from lots of places and is tax exempted (environmental fuel).

//NiSk
'85 BX 16TRS, '91 XM injection 241,000 km (company car), '93 XM TD12 (515,000 km), '98 XM 2.5TD Break (320,000 km)
jmd
My Cars:

Post by jmd »

The offence here is called using "Marked Gas Oil" , so if the oil is clear, where is the offence.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Was about to say it would run fine on it but legally not allowed really.

I have known people to run theirs on this stuff and it saves hem a fair amount of fuel.

also seen LPG kits for diesels on ebay for anyone who wanted to know :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

KP wrote: also seen LPG kits for diesels on ebay for anyone who wanted to know :)
LPG for a Diesel :? How does that work? LPG has a high octane rating and a very low cetane rating. Exactly the opposite to what is needed for a diesel engine.

I know some very large stationary diesels are "Dual Fuel" insomuch as they use a little diesel fuel in the conventional way to ignite an air/LPG charge but this seems a bit of an overkill on a vehicle.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

citrojim wrote:
KP wrote: also seen LPG kits for diesels on ebay for anyone who wanted to know :)
LPG for a Diesel :? How does that work? LPG has a high octane rating and a very low cetane rating. Exactly the opposite to what is needed for a diesel engine.

I know some very large stationary diesels are "Dual Fuel" insomuch as they use a little diesel fuel in the conventional way to ignite an air/LPG charge but this seems a bit of an overkill on a vehicle.
Thats correct Jim.

Its used to boost the diesel performance. As with many fuels, LPG does its job the best in high compression engines. The LPG is injected (into the air intake) in a small amount as an additive to the diesel fuel. I seem to remember its something like 10% LPG to the diesel fuel.
Its mainly used on large diesel engines for commercial or off-road usage, but will of course be found on MPV's as well.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I was under the impression from what i could see that the LPG is used to boost the power so while enough diesel is injected to kep the engine idling the LPG is used to increase power and revs as you use the accellerator pedal so thus reducing diesel consumption??

Ive never seen it before but the picture i saw showed HGVs so i asume they use it those to boost power more and then reduce diesel consumption as you could get a few 80litre lpg tanks on teh abck of one of them without suffering power lose from wieght too much and make your company fuel bills a fair bit cheaper if you buy it in at 30p/litre like public can get in some places....