Stiff Clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BrianM
My Cars:

Stiff Clutch

Post by BrianM »

Hello All

My 97 Xantia TD clutch has got 'sticky'/stiff just at the biting point - most noticably since the clutch cable broke about 8 weeks ago. I kind of adjusted it out, but it was back in a couple of days. This clutch has done 60K as I put it in when I got the car 2 years ago. Reading the previous posts seems to suggest the fingers biting into the release bearing. Just wondering if its a job I should give a day for over the Christmas. Car does 100 mls a day to and from work so the only time I really notice the stiffness is taking off or when caught in traffic.

Brian
97 Xantia TD
(95 Xantia TD & 93 Xantia TD, hoping to get one going again - some time ! )
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

Hi Brian, yes maybe....

I have done 2 or 3 of these in between 4-7 hours each... not a terrible job, the hardest bit is getting the box back up to the engine - its a little tight for room.. (get a helper or use a hoist from above) I did all of mine alone .... (but with hoist) - but you've done this before so you probably remember..

Have a good look at the gearbox input shaft, on mine it was scratched, causing a tight spot at the peddle... (all caused by a melted release bearing, not fitted properly in the past)

John
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Thanks for this,

Have had the gearbox out twice before on this particular car !. Bought the car undriveable because of clutch,suspension, brakes, heater matrix, did the clutch to discover the crunchy 3rd gear ! - lived with it for a few months and put in the box from my 93 Xantia. When the car is at a stop the catching is not that noticalble - only a loud springing noise down at the box.

Brian
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The problem isn't going to remain static is it - it can only get worse which means - no clutch one day.

60,000 isn't long for a presser and release mechanism on a Citroen.
jeremy
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Well, bit the bullet and replaced the clutch yesterday - in 6 years of Xantia ownership I can now say that I NEVER had a right clutch !. The clutch is now so light that I cannot bleieve it !

Brian
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi brian I don't need one at the moment but for future reference what make did you fit .happy new year john.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

The old clutch clip went on my BIL's Xantia (my old one) so he got it towed to the usual Indie we use for FREE off RAC, cost him £70 to have replaced in all which I thought was alright to be fair as Im not that technical to try myself (I usually do more damage), as he needed the car back straight away for work.

Indie (Paul) tells me when I went to pick it up (BIL had chicken pox/shingles by now) that it was on its original clip, the cars done 120k.

Impressed!
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

John,

The clutch kit was a QH ( Quinton Hazell ) - this is the one my motor factors had in stock. Look at their web site to see about their 'lifetime' warranty on clutches

Brian