Whine at55 to 65

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paco
My Cars:

Whine at55 to 65

Post by paco »

hi

my 1996 1.9td xantia just passed another mot with flying colours.

when i am travelling between55 and 65 mph there is distinct whine/drumming, does anyone know what causes this and how to cure it, or at least reduce it

paco
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

lift off your right foot ?

Seriously : try your engine bay for any loose or frayed air duct hoses which could let out some of the turbo whine noise to the cabin.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Wheel balance ?

Off round tyre ?

Wheel bearing ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you are ment to put derv in the tank,i suppose thats how you bring you duty free back by filling your tank with boujlay,
i go with Simon wheel bearing
regards malcolm
paco
My Cars:

Post by paco »

thanx for the suggestions, i can free wheel down a local hill and the noise still occures between 55/65 mph, i think it may be connected to the drive/transmission components
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sorry if some of these sound obvious but we've all been caught by them at times.

Gearbox oil - have you checked/topped it up recently? (Use the recommended stuff only - otherwise you may not be able to change gear.)

Engine/gearbox mounts - have a good look with thee engine running. Cambelt one may collapse if its like the BX/ZX one - seems to be a hollow rubber cylinder or something. (to be fair I've had 2 fail and never noticed anything) There should be 2 soft rubber wedges , one in front and one behind.

Gearbox is suspended from a mount on its top - usually well hidden. Is the rubber still there?

Engine bottom mount - can be seen from by the drivers door - does the engine wobble around and is it broken? - Have a look with the engine running.

Driveshafts? Feel all the joints for play and noise when the wheels are on lock.
jeremy
howzat
My Cars:

Post by howzat »

To check wheel bearings, try weaving from left to right (on a suitably clear road!) If the noise decreases with side force then a wheel bearing is suspect.