Engine Mangement Light On

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Lee1701
My Cars:

Engine Mangement Light On

Post by Lee1701 »

Hi Guys,
I have an ongoing problem with my Xantia HDi(1999). Whenever the car goes up the slightest of inclines, or is asked to work a bit harder (ie "foot down"), the engine goes in to back up mode (wont let me go over 2800 revs). I have had a couple of garages look at it, including a Citroen dealer, neither of which has much idea as to what is causing the grief. Even when the car isnt in back up mode, power seems to be down on normal. The turbo seems to cut in at about 2300 revs instead of the much lower value that it's supposed to. Also, how do you turn the infernal ecu light off?
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Lee
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

there is many things that could cause this,do you know what the fault codes were when the dealer checked it ? this could point you in the right direction.check for air leaks in the intake system especially at the intercooler,when the engine is under load the intercooler end casings can sometimes open up slightly.also check that the vaccum pipes between the electrovalves & pump arent blocked.dont know how to put out the light without daig equipment,it would just come back on when it went into back up mode again anyway.
Lee1701
My Cars:

Post by Lee1701 »

Thanks for the info Wheeler, i will certainly have a look at those bits. I dont know what the codes were, but i do know that it pointed them in the direction of the "turbo pressure sensor", which they replaced, to no avail. They then went on to say that testing the pressure sensor with a vacuum test "could" have caused the wastegate to stick open, thus causing the loss of power. I find this a bit sketchy, to say the least. They also, as always, point in the direction of the ecu itself, which, being an electronics engineer, i would find unlikely (i'd have to be damned unlucky if it was that!).
One question i would like to ask is; would they have had to remove the undertray to get at all the bits that you've mentioned? (i'm no mechanic!)....because looking at the bolts that hold it up, it doesnt look as if it's been taken off at all...which makes me wonder if they looked at the "simpler" causes before they embarked on replacing unnecessary bits.
Thanks for your time once again :)
Lee
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

to check the turbo system for air leaks properly the undergaurd would have had to be removed.can you hear any air leaks ? also what about the turbo & EGR electrovalves,they are both the same valves,try swapping them round & see if it makes any difference.i would check those vac pipes for blockages like i said.is there good suction coming from the vaccum pump ?