Xantia Mk 1 Headlamp Upgrade (AN UPDATE)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davetd
My Cars:

Xantia Mk 1 Headlamp Upgrade (AN UPDATE)

Post by davetd »

Evening

Can anyone tell me the method of upgrading the wiring with relays to improve the headlamps on the mark one Xantia (see Boncechops reply on the Xantia winter in Norway thread).

It seems you guys had it all sorted out before I joined the forum. :?

I've fitted Halfords Xenon Super Brilliance bulbs which are much better but I'd like to sort out the 2 volt drop that Boncechops talks about.

I don't want to fit series 2 lights as it seems the bonnet will have to be changed :shock:

thanks in advance guys :D

regards

davetd
Last edited by davetd on 10 Dec 2006, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
93 Xantia SX TD Manual Metallic Grey 145,000 Non Anti-Sink
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

I bought a Series 2 recently and the lights were even worse anyway.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
dan_the_v8man
My Cars:

Post by dan_the_v8man »

i havent seen it myself but what i would imagine all it consists of is...

the switched feed to you lamps, instead of being connected to the lamps, you connect it to a relay. the contacts on ur relay are then fed back to the battery with a suitable sized wire and fused in the apropiate place
Dec 94 Xantia LX 1.9 TD 116k - My first car :D
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Dan - you're right - fun bit is dealing with the dim dip. Please check this but I think the system has now been abandoned - so MAY not be a requirement.

Remember the earth is just as important - so make sure its good as well.
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

AFAIK dim dip was not fitted to the Xantia - if it was, then to overcome the problems with trying to relay up the lights, just pull the dim dip relay. The system is not required, and if you try and wire up relays on the dip beams it all goes horribly wrong becuase the dim-dip relay earths through the main beam filaments :twisted:

If the MK11 lights are still bad, then must remember to swap over my vision plus bulbs when I get another one.....
Richard W
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Still none the wiser :?

Has anyone done this mod that can vouch for it and describe it?

thanks for your help in advance

regards

davetd
Last edited by davetd on 06 Dec 2006, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Dim Dip is the semi-headlights that were introduced in the late 80's to give "half headlights" so those driving at dusk on sidelights could be seen better. All it seemed to do was burn out headlight bulbs quicker...

Quick test - put the sidelights on without the ignition and check the pitiful output of the sidelights. Now put the ignition on and see if it looks like the headlamps are sort-of on. If so, it's got Dim Dip.

Steer clear of cheap "blue-tint Xenon-effect" bulbs...my first time resulted in me nearly crashing as they were that bad. I stopped at the first layby and put the old bulbs back in using my mobile phone as a torch!
f00lzz
My Cars:

Post by f00lzz »

I am surprised that you guys find the 'MK11' lights to be less than excellent.. perhaps it is an alignment issue. I have mine adjusted at the 'upper limit' at the local MOT station. Apparently the common setting is midway between the low and high setting on the beam setter to allow for passengers/weight in boot etc.. this of course is not necessary on Hydro cars because of the self levelling suspension.
Ian
Account Ref: 6419

Current Cars
Nissan X-Trail SVE
Saab 2.2TiD
Merc E270 Estate

Past Citroens
2001 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1999 Xantia 1.9TD
1997 Xantia 3.0 Exclusive
1995 XM 3.0 Exclusive Estate
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

davetd wrote:Still none the wiser :?

Has anyone done this mod that can vouch for it and describe it?

thanks for your help in advance

regards

davetd
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi Dave.. I've got a 93tdsx (no dim/dip) and I've done the mod and the lights are definitely improved. I bought two 20a relays ( you can use just one, but if the fuse blows then....) The main feeds I took direct from the battery + with an inline 7.5a blade fuse on each. These then attach to the relays and on to the dipped bulbs( I can't remember which terminals, but somebody here will know -and anyway there is a diagram on the relay itself). The terminal which normally attaches to the dipped bulb is used to switch the relay, and I ran earth returns from the relays to the Battery - .
Hope this makes sense to you.. if not get back on here and I'll try to make it clearer ! Best wishes, Martin.

ps. this mod along with Osram Silverstars will make quite a difference!
I won't do that again
reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Maybe my lights are too low. I know the back end sits slightly high so it might have been level when the lights were set. They are certainly white enough.

When I fitted Silverstars to the Mk2, all four of the bulbs I took out were Philips. That suggests to me that they might be the Philips version of Silverstars, is there any way I could tell?
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The Philips bulbs would be "Vision" marked somewhere AFAIK.

Try a search on Xantia headlamps.
Its a popular topic. Schematics for the relay circuit has been submitted a couple of times.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
davetd
My Cars:

Post by davetd »

Just done the upgrade with the relays etc.

After I had done the first light I checked it against the other side and there was a noticable difference in brightness and whiteness (I fitted Halfords Superbrilliance Xenon lights last weekend).

They are much better for driving in the dark (and rain) as it is outside at the moment. A couple of oncoming cars flashed me so next week I'll have the beam alignment checked.

The bloke in the car spares shop tried to talk me out of buying the relays, fuse holders etc saying it wouldn't make any difference :lol:

Thanks as ever for your help and advice :D

regards

davetd
xantia93eko

Post by xantia93eko »

hi i have just been reading your posts and there are a lot of references to dim dip does anyone know where the relay is fitted as i am sure my 93 xantia has this fitted as the headlights always seem to be on half power and very very rarely the get brighter for maybe one journey and then back to dim again thanks in advance
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

This is the way to go... in my case 2.1V more at the bulbs. You can always add funny bulbs later. Above all note that the power source is from the alternator, NOT the battery, which under normal running is the power source:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... quote]Just done the upgrade with the relays etc.

After I had done the first light I checked it against the other side and there was a noticable difference in brightness and whiteness (I fitted Halfords Superbrilliance Xenon lights last weekend).

They are much better for driving in the dark (and rain) as it is outside at the moment. A couple of oncoming cars flashed me so next week I'll have the beam alignment checked. [/quote]
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj