Fan/Dashboard making a Funny Sound

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gadgetgricey

Fan/Dashboard making a Funny Sound

Post by gadgetgricey »

Can anyone shed any light on what my Xantia fan is doing.

You turn the fan on and it blows as it should. However if you turn it off you can hear a noise coming from the dashboard that sounds like another fan that is not turning fast enough.

This noise is always there regardless of the fan speed and does not change in pitch or volume.

I banged the side of the dashboard by the grab handle above the cubby hole and it stopped briefly, but then started again.

With the radio on, you cant even here it, but it is really beginnning to annoy me.

Any help/advice would be great.

Thanks

Dave
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If you have aircon, it's probably the 'sampling' fan used to pass the air over the temp sensing thermistor. It's also possible for the blower fan to be driven by air passing through the ventilation system.
gadgetgricey

Post by gadgetgricey »

That would make sense as the air con "auto" setting has not worked. But did while the squeak was there.

Just been out in the car and the squeak has stopped and the auto setting no longer works.

Is this an easy fix???????
C8 - Petrol Auto (Love the electronic doors)
Xantia Hdi Exclusive Estate (gone but not forgotten)
stevenlizuk
My Cars:

Post by stevenlizuk »

Mine rattled for about six weeks and then was ok again.
The rattle is from the little aircon "sampler" which has a tiny fan to draw air over the sensor in the dash.
Shine a torch into the grill to see if the fan is still turning.
If it's dead a new sensor can be had from the scrappy for very little.
I bought a new one for mine and then didn't fit it as the old one sorted things out on it's own.
It's about the only part of the aircon/blower that doesn't need constant attention.
98 406 Estate LX 2.1td in white (Anyone call Ghostbusters?)

97 Xantia SX 2.1td (Chipped and happy at 130mph) Deceased after agricultural incident (crashed into field).
1981 Mini HL (Just happy to be around)
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

A new fan / sensor costs about £100. As a temporary measure you can hang the sensor out of the dash next to the heater controls where it functions OK. Mine's been 'temporary' like this for about 10 months / 20k miles now!
Richard W