Xantia Clutch Clip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

josamolly

Xantia Clutch Clip

Post by josamolly »

Thinking of buying a '96 Xantia but the clutch clip has gone. Has anyone any idea at the cost of fixing this. Its a nice car but if its gonna cost me a fortune..

Thanks for your help as usual...
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

There's loads of posts on here about this subject!

You can do it yourself, with or without taking any pedals off (I know, I've done it). It all depends how dexterous you are.

If you had it done at a garage, I would expect them to charge two or three hours labour, the parts element is negligible.

I wouldn't let the clip problem put me off buying the car, if the rest of it is fine. It's a good bargaining point.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's not too bad - 3 hours or so for your first one, or about £100 for a garage to do it. Trouble is, it is often indicative of impending clutch failure - and that is a whole lot more expensive / time consuming - and with the clip failed there is no way of testing the clutch. Given the number of Xantias about, and the low prices they fetch, it would need to be SERIOUSLY cheap for me to take one on that had a failed clip.
Richard W
Evodad
My Cars:

Post by Evodad »

RichardW, I must be lucky!

Bought my car at 100k miles, replaced the clip at 110k miles & it's now on 180k with no sign of clutch problems (touch wood!).

I would go for it if the price is right.
josamolly

Post by josamolly »

Thnaks again guys.. a wealth of information as usual....

Its actually up for £100 simply because the clip has gone.. so i might take a punt on it as it would do for spares anyway..
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

£100 to buy car, invest 3 hours and £5 clip. Sell on ebay for £350! Nice mornings work.... That seems about the right price, although it questions why the vendor is not spending £100 to keep it going - what else is wrong with it (apart from the dealer telling them it needs the dash out to change the clip!)?
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

£100 squide bit extausionate,i do these in around the hour and chare about £40 plus the price of the clip,and that by removing the pedel
regards malcolm
josamolly

Post by josamolly »

spoke to the vendor.. indeed it looks like a garage has vastly overquoted for the clip.. might be a bit lucky here, and i need a newer Xantia....

thanks chaps
josamolly

Post by josamolly »

Right, bought the car and the clip. Now, i have had a look and i would need the hand of jeremy beadle to be able to fit this!! How small is that gap!!!

Have called a few garages in the colchester area and no luck.. they all say the same... suck of the teeth and then ' thats a 5/6/7 hour job mate'...

So it looks like a tow home to Luton to see if i can have a go but..

May call the RAC and be cheeky.. he may be able to fit it, or he may be able to tow me home..

Thoughts please..
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I have done a couple (just!) using long magnetised screwdrivers, torch in mouth, on back etc etc

neither have taken longer than about 10 attempts or 30 mins in all.. frustrating but it can be done..

remove drivers seat to help your back ....

John g
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the way i allways do these is remove the clutch pedle,although a lot of people on here speak of cutting the pivot bolt head of and or butchering the tin work,i never cut the bolt head or butcher anything or removal of any of the seats,it just takes a bit of percy whats it,and a lot of patiance,and no more than an hour,you do need to remove the spring plundger from the back of the bbrake pedle to allow it to go further to the floor,once you have the pivot bolt nut off you just slide the bolt out as far as it will go,then tillt the clutch pedle so the bolt head clears the brake pedle,on refitting put the bolt back from the other side,i have done quite a few of these now for my customers and maybe all of the garages you have spoken to are just trying to put you off as they dont want to take the job on
regards malcolm
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It's easy enough - just a bit awkward!

Remove the felt above the pedals and lower plastic trim piece from the dash. Lever out the black pastic plastic cannister from the back of the brake pedal. Arm yourself with a pair of 13mm spanners (one of the preferably a straight head ratcheting type) and climb into the foot well on your back - head right under the pedals :lol: You will now be able to reach up and undo the clutch pedal pivot bolt. Just :twisted: To add to the fun it's a nylock nut, so has to be spannered off all the way (hence the ratcheting spanner!). Now try and wiggle the bolt out past the brake pedal - the end is chamfered so Malcom's method of twisting the pedal may be enough to get the clearance - altnatively, so you could gently lever the pedal box on the LHS so allow the bolt to twist. If this fails then you will need to cut the head off the bolt (as I did) - awkward but possible with a hacksaw blade (get one of the bi-metal flexibl ones!). Remove the pedal from the car noting how the spring is attached - whether it pushes down or lifts the pedal will depend on if it's a manual or auto adjust clutch. Fit the new clip to the pedal. Relase the clutch cable under the bonnet and push it right in, and secure it somehow (my mate helped here!). Offer up the pedal and guide the cable into the clip, then push down hard so the cable engages with the clip. Now refit the pedal with the (new, if you had to saw it off!) bolt in the other way around. The hardest part of this is getting the spring back on - especially for manual adjust clutches! Adjust the clutch (if manual), and refit the trim - don't forget the brake cannister or you won't have any brakes :shock: Took me 3 hours when I did it, but with the ratchet spanners, and if sawing the bolt off could be avoided, it's certainly do-able in 90 mins or so first time.
Richard W
josamolly

Post by josamolly »

Right guys, after spending most of Saturday trying to get the bloody bolt out , this morning i have disconnected the cable from near the battery, pushed it through, connected the clip to the pedal and the cable....

But now i can't get the bolt in!!!!!! No matter what i do i cannot do it. I have tried putting it in as it came out, no joy here, so then i tried from the other side... But i just can't get it anywhere near the hole.. i have cut about 3mm off the end as well as suggested...

any suggestions guys, it'll be dark soon....
josamolly

Post by josamolly »

Right guys, after spending most of Saturday trying to get the bloody bolt out , this morning i have disconnected the cable from near the battery, pushed it through, connected the clip to the pedal and the cable....

But now i can't get the bolt in!!!!!! No matter what i do i cannot do it. I have tried putting it in as it came out, no joy here, so then i tried from the other side... But i just can't get it anywhere near the hole.. i have cut about 3mm off the end as well as suggested...

any suggestions guys, it'll be dark soon....
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Stick it back in the other way, it will go you cant have it lined up properly yet.

A little bit of wiggling and a lot of swearing should sort it.

Regards
Slim