Numpty Seatbelt Q

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BernieLugg
My Cars:

Numpty Seatbelt Q

Post by BernieLugg »

Anyone fitted a third diagonal seatbelt in place of the lap belt found in the Xantia saloon?

As I understand it there is a third one fitted to the estate variant - and presumably these seats fold up too, so... How is it fitted and why is it different to the saloon - and moreover - can one be SAFELY grafted into a saloon?

Its either that or I think strongly about getting a C5 instead...
BX
Xantia
Shed
Set of Spanners
Kettle
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Having been involved in a couple of compliancing dramas involving imported cars, I think you'd find it can be legally fitted providing it was firmly fitted to the chassis.
On cars imported over here. a child restraint has to have a secure mounting and these are done by fitting a piece of about 2 X 1 box section across the back of the rear seat. If the belt was supposedly for an adult though, I'd imagine it would possibly have to be bolted to something solid and plated under the floor as an adult would place much more weight on the belt that an ankle biter in the advent of a collision.
Just watch out for the petrol tank when drilling through the floor though. :shock: :oops:

Alan S :twisted:
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

On our Kia there is a proper diagonal belt on the middle seat, and the reel and shoulder mount are all attached to the folding seat-back, so presumeably this is reinforced to meet the neccessary requirements.

I'd imagine the estate seat-back will be built to take the mountings but the saloon won't, otherwise they'd have fitted a diagonal belt to the saloon as a sales feature,so to be safe you will probably need to try and graft in the estate seat, but you never know-I'd take a trip to the scrappie and have a discreet poke inside a saloon and estate seat to see whats in there.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hatchback rear seats:

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 16401A.gif

Estate rear seatbelts (one piece seat)

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 16405A.gif

Estate rear seatbelts (spilt fold seat)

http://www.citroen-pr.net/catalogues/il ... 16410A.gif

So, it looks like the centre reel is integral with the seat back, and the only way to fit it will be to get a seat out of an estate. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether the seats are interchangeable!
Richard W
BernieLugg
My Cars:

Post by BernieLugg »

RichardW wrote: So, it looks like the centre reel is integral with the seat back, and the only way to fit it will be to get a seat out of an estate. Your guess is as good as mine as to whether the seats are interchangeable!
Sadly not.

Never mind - I have today bought a 3 year old Multispace for the wife and kidneys.
Thanks anyway for all your help.
BX
Xantia
Shed
Set of Spanners
Kettle