Probably an easy suspension problem ('96 Xantia)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nishikigoi
My Cars:

Probably an easy suspension problem ('96 Xantia)

Post by nishikigoi »

Not having a good day :(

Went out and with all the mega rain last night there were some pretty deep puddles so I moved the height selector to slightly raise the car (the smaller 'normal' setting). Anyway, car is now right out of order.

The rear behaves itself, the front will go full lift or drop, but will NOT sit at normal ride height :twisted:

Only had the car a while and popped the bonnet only to see a little steam off the rad, so I have a tiny leak on the rad too :cry:

Seeing as it's still hammering down and I've never looked at the any of the suspension parts before, I'm guessing that the plastic 'thingy' might be trashed (£1.88 I hope so) or the height corrector is knackered (£95 hope not!).

Looking on e bay there are some nice Xantias to by and raid for bits!
Andrew D
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

The plastic thingy popping off is a symptom of the height corrector being stiff, favourite cause of this is the mechanical linkages getting dirty and siezed, while the car is up on ramps to refit the plastic thingy why not treat the linkages to a good old clean and lube, it tends to restore suppleness too.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.
nishikigoi
My Cars:

Post by nishikigoi »

So based on total Citroen novice....

I have just been out in the rain and looked under the front of the car, I can't even see the anti roll bar :oops: Where the :evil: is it, buried in the front bumper???? :?:

I did not want to venture too far under, too many stories of sinking citroens :shock:

Will a good hosing with WD40 and a good wiggle (while up on ramps) help the adjuster?
Andrew D
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The anti roll bar is at the back of the engine compartment.
nishikigoi
My Cars:

Post by nishikigoi »

Cheers, I take it that it's sprung loaded? I just got under there and it was off, dropped to lowest level with iterior lever and popped back on by pushing against the spring tension. Went on a little too easy so it's down to Citroen to buy 2 links.

BTW, they are a pain to see and get to, any tips for the front one?
Andrew D
Stewart(oily)
My Cars: Citroens since 1990, BX Diesel, GTI, TZD with 1.9 TD running extra boost before it was fashionable!, ZX Volcane TD, S2 Xantia break 1.9TD, Xantia HDI 110, currently zipping about in a C2 Diesel. C2 died from the dreaded worm, C3 Picasso HDI Exclusive, the adventure continues.

Post by Stewart(oily) »

You will need the car over a pit or on ramps, especially when working on th ride height system, these cars have killed and will fall like a stone if the link pops off. The linkages you need are best found by following the rods from the height control lever inside the car, the front one is above the crossmember the rear is centrally located alongside the centre sphere, WD40 is not really good enough for this job, I use a greasy oily mixture and a paintbrush, others swear by aerosol motorcycle chain lube, the units contain a number of springs etc which should be visible when you get under there, liberally lubricate all moving parts and things should soon get better, I keep the mixture and brush handy so that I can add more whenever I am under there.
Stewart
BXs since 1993 built 1.9 TZD turbo, got a S2 Xantia estate, brilliant car! 2013, Xantia HDI LX 110 2000 new car with 122,000, l C2 HDI Rusty rocket, C3 Picasso HDI new to me.