ZX clutch - on its way out or not?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gnerk
My Cars:

ZX clutch - on its way out or not?

Post by Gnerk »

Hi Guys,

Ever since I got this car back in Feb, the clutch biting point has been right at the top of its travel.

I'm aware that there is adjustment in the clutch cable, but Haynes only talks about adjustment to correct clutch pedal travel. The clutch pedal travel seems about right, but I have yet to measure it. The pedal is certainly a good bit higher than the brake pedal.

No apparent slip in the clutch under full bananas :D conditions or otherwise.

Any thoughts? Looks like a bumhole of a job to do - anyone know any good and less expensive garages in the Worthing area that could do the job (if the damn car passes its next MOT in Jan, I may reward it).

Cheers in advance,

Ian.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If its not slipping I wouldn't worry about it. If its failing it will slip under full throttle at 2,000 - 3,000 rpm, if it doesn't its OK. Even if it does, driven carefully it will still probably do another 10k.
Gnerk
My Cars:

Post by Gnerk »

Thanks for the optimism, Peter. I'll keep an eye on it, but it sounds like it'll keep going in the short to medium term.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Firstly - its a rule among clutch fitters that the cable must never be adjusted - even if its impossible to break the clutch properly as the floor gets in the way of sufficient pedal travel.

As the clutch wears the free movement at the top of the pedal should dissappear - hence some models are fitted with auto adjustment.

Without sufficient free play the clutch may not engage fully - and/or the release bearing may be under more load than its intended to cope with.

There should therefore be a clearance when the pedal is released.

Haynes provides some measurements 0- if you can follow them. I know I tried when we got our ZX 1.9D - and eventually just adjusted it so it seemed about right (and a great beal better than before)

One of the problems is that these things can last a very very long time - and so linkage wear, release bearing and finger wear all become factors that have to be considered.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

rule of thumb the clutch should bite no more than half way up its travel,if its bitting point is near or at the top it needs to be adjusted,this is done by unwinding the two nuts on the end of the cable,also with the bitting point at the top you will prematuly wear your clutch out,as it is near or at the point of slipping
regards malcolm

ps. if a clutch centre tells you never adjust the cable that is so they can con you out of some money sooner rather that later
simoncanfer

Post by simoncanfer »

I have just adjusted my clutch cable and have almost no thread left, the biting point is now fairly low. I have some free play in the pedal (there was none before).

However pedal travel is less than Mr Haynes says, about 130 compared to 150-160mm. Does this mean I can expect to need a new clutch soon?

Car has almost done 120k miles.

Simon
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

At 120,000 miles you can expect to have to change a clutch sometime soon - I bought my BX TD with 163,000 miles on it expectiong to have to do the clutch soon - and that was 7 years ago.

Our ZX 1.9D appeared to have had a new clutch sometime before we bought it at 53,000 miles.

I don't think you can infer anything from the measurements. My original comment was made as I found it quite impossible to get the pedal movement to conform to the measurements and had to do it so that it broke in about the right place and had plenty of clearance.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

jeremy wrote:At 120,000 miles you can expect to have to change a clutch sometime soon - I bought my BX TD with 163,000 miles on it expectiong to have to do the clutch soon - and that was 7 years ago.

Our ZX 1.9D appeared to have had a new clutch sometime before we bought it at 53,000 miles.

I don't think you can infer anything from the measurements. My original comment was made as I found it quite impossible to get the pedal movement to conform to the measurements and had to do it so that it broke in about the right place and had plenty of clearance.
yes Jeremy i quite agree as i never use the mesurments which are prescribed,i always do it by feel
regards malcolm