Xsara W/Washer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

micitroen
My Cars:

Xsara W/Washer

Post by micitroen »

Got a problem which has developed with my Xsara 1998 1.9D in that when I want to wash the front windsreen it will only activate the rear wash....it doesn't activate the wiper (as in the 3 auto wipes) but it does activate the front wipers into their 3 auto wipes. Any ideas? Also just to say that the rear W/Wipe switch works perfectly activating the wash and the 3 wipe sequence.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have just fixed a customers piscaso washers,the front and the rear did not work at all,i removed the skuttle to see if i could get screen wash to come out of the pipes which feed each jet no go,so i pulled the wheel arch linner away to gain acces to the tank and pulled the pipe off for the front washers and nout came out,now whilst the owner opperated the switch i brushed my finger across the spout on the pump and water shot out at high presure,so i put the front back together and the jet worked but after refitting the skuttle they stoped working,it turned out to be wallpaper paste like sludge was blocking the pump spout again,i removed the tank took the pump out flushed the tank and pump refitted it all and bongo,the rear was a pipe disconected inside the tail gate
regards malcolm
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

Thanks Malcolm I'll give it a go.....like you say the access is to say the least ...er ..limited.
Mike

1993 BX TXD EST mmm. nice. 1990 Bx 19TZD Auto Lhd (now lives in France) 1998 Xsara 1.9d lx.
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

Just to say I've fixed it (for now at least). Took the pipe off the T piece to the front jets and tried blowing down it.....no success 'Aha thinks I, must be blocked then'...then fired up my trusty Halfrauds tyre blower upper thingy and got a good seal on the pipe ..... pressure built up to 23 lbs and then let go with the sounds of bubbling from the tank. Result working properly (for the moment) but at least it saved me crawling under it in this weather ....something to do on a dry day or wait til the summer. In the meantime I'm going to try siphoning the contents out completely to see what sort of detritus comes out.
Mike

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the only probs with blowing back towards the pump is firstly you might damage the pump secondly there is a one way valve in the pipe near the tank
regards malcolm
micitroen
My Cars:

Post by micitroen »

thanks for that.....just had a real good go at it as it did seem to lose efficiency so I siphoned all the water out of the reservoir a couple of times and gave it a few minutes with a good solution of one of the limescale remover fluids. It seems to be back to its former self and power.
Stilll like to give it a proper once over in the summer.
Mike